Coreopsis

crunchpa(z5Pa)June 30, 2013

I grabbed this Coreopsis at Lowes without a tag. ID please.
From Tims

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardenweed_z6a

You might get more information with a close-up of the blooms as well as the foliage. If it's a perennial coreopsis, it can have more than one foliage type. If the foliage is delicate, airy & fern-like, chances are it's in the threadleaf family (which might be C. lanceolata) while other types fall into the C. grandiflora category. I suggest you check out the pictures on Swallowtail Garden Seeds' website to see if you can match up what you're growing to any of the seed types they sell.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Swallowtail Garden Seeds

Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 9:27PM
funnthsun z7A - Southern VA

I agree with Gardenweed, hard to tell from here, but it very well could be Pineapple Pie Coreopsis. Has the right height, right color, that's about all I can tell without a closeup, but a good shot to be that one.

Lovely container!

Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 10:14PM
diggerdee zone 6 CT

Wow, what a gorgeous window! LOVE the color of the house, and the windowbox is just beautiful!

I know that doesn't help you, lol, but I just had to say that....

:)
Dee

Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 11:11PM
crunchpa(z5Pa)

I will take another photo. I was not aware that some coreopsis was not perennial. It is a thread leafed variety. I had hoped to put it in the yard at the end of the season. It was among annuals on the rack I found it on. No tags on any of them.
And thanks for the kind words and help.

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 9:19PM
Carolinaflowerlover NC Zone 7b

I am going to guess salsa coreopsis. My Lowes sold them last year and labeled them as annuals. :)

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 10:25PM
linnea56(z5 IL)

So, carolinaflowerlover, would you say that they ARE annuals (in essence)? Did yours survive?

I like that color combination very much. From this distance it looks like a miniature gaillardia. But I have had little luck with any threadleaf variety surviving, except Zagreb.

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 11:08PM
gardenweed_z6a

I'll apologize for not commenting earlier & echo diggerdee--that's one gorgeous window box.

While there's plenty of horticultural information available on the Internet, I discovered when I really focused on my garden plants & design that what's out there online can be misleading, contradictory & downright wrong. Books were what helped me achieve my goals with far fewer missteps and mistakes. I subscribe to the 'one and done' school of garden design & haven't either the time or inclination to correct mistakes.

Best of luck to you with your garden.

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 12:14AM
crunchpa(z5Pa)

I thought someone may have seen it at Lowes and I agree it seems to be Salsa. Zone9. Too bad. I was hoping to place it in the yard. Its my first time with this plant and I hope it is a long bloomer. I have Lantana,Wave Petunia,Licorice plant,Red Spikes and annual Lobelia buried in there somewhere. I thought about poking holes in the liner and putting the Lobelia in front. I was afraid it would struggle. I think the Lantana and Salsa compliment the color of the house. I agree that threadleaf seems to fizzle over time. More luck in shade for me

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 3:04PM
crunchpa(z5Pa)

And Creeping Jenny

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 3:08PM
Carolinaflowerlover NC Zone 7b

I didn't buy it since it was an annual, but I wish I had tried it. I did get coreopsis red shift, which is slightly similar but a perennial....but it doesn't have as much red and isn't as bright. I haven't seen the salsa this year. I hope yours survives! It is such a pretty flower. :)

Bookmark   July 6, 2013 at 7:42PM
More Discussions
Lilies are blooming in parks now!
Pictures taking in Southern China.
jujujojo_gw
Off to Paris!
Hello Fellow Perennial Fanatics, :) I'm off to Paris...
steve1young
What plant are you anxiously awaiting the return of in the spring?
Well, maybe not *anxiously* awaiting but awaiting nevertheless. For...
mxk3
Mail Order Question
I would like to order some perennials on line as we...
huckdog1
Border Patrol Plants
Border Patrol Plants: those small, front-of-the-border...
christinmk z5b eastern WA
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™