Clematis trouble!

sweet_violaJune 1, 2008

I am having trouble with my clematis that I just planted about a month a go. I have a beautiful white clematis that is suppose to be a re-bloomer in the fall. When I planted it, it had already begun to bloom. I just noticed that the blooms have begun to die back. It looks as if the whole plant is dying.

I paid a good amount of money for this plant and I don't want to loose it. The only information I can find about it is to cut it back. I don't think that it is wilt. Can anyone shed some light? Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alina_1

Do you know the name of your Clematis? Did you plant it deeper than it was in its pot? The crown should be at least 2-4" below the surface. Clematis often do this after being transplanted. Cut it back to the first pair of leaves, give it some fertilizer. Keep the soil moist, but not soggy. It will bounce back. Keep pinching new growth to get a bushier plant. Good luck!
P.S. There is a Clematis forum. You will get an expert advice there any time.

Bookmark   June 2, 2008 at 9:51AM
LindaMA(MA z5)

Good advice, pinching it back will help the root system establish and will make the plant a lot fuller.

Bookmark   June 2, 2008 at 2:55PM
shebear(z8 NCentralTex)

Don't worry.......mine die and regrow sometimes 3 times in one year. Usually when young and they outgrow it so just watch it and mark the spot and soon you see another vine coming up.

Bookmark   June 2, 2008 at 8:28PM
sweet_viola

Thanks alina 1. Thanks also on the fyi on the clematis forum. I definitely need all the help I can get. Also, I think I have a 'Henryi'. It is really beautiful. I just gave it another look and the leaves actually look fine. But all of the blooms are dying off. So I will pinch it back and see how it goes. Keep your fingers crossed. Thanks again!

Bookmark   June 2, 2008 at 8:39PM
More Discussions
Would you be willing to share your favorite plant markers?
I've been eyeing the copper and zinc ones but just...
oldbat2be
Zone 10b: Dog Friendly Ground Covering (Creeping Perennial)
I am considering replacing our front lawn (in a gated,...
fraustachowski
Lilies are blooming in parks now!
Pictures taking in Southern China.
jujujojo_gw
Are you missing past content?
I went searching for my old comments on GW and according...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Echinaceas in my Rain Garden
In a rare stroke of luck I just finished my rain garden...
northraleighguy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™