Best Shade Tree for Denver Lawn?

Joe243April 5, 2013

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a good shade tree in Denver. It would be on the south side of the house in the middle of about a 30x40ft lawn. Looking for something that can shade the grass and also hopefully the house later to help with AC. It's a rental property so I'm looking for something low maintenance and hopefully disease/insect resistant and that won't get destroyed from heavy snows. The faster growing the better. The guy at the nursery recommended either an Autumn Blaze Maple or an Autumn Purple Ash. What do you guys think?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
WxDano(5b-2a-6/7)

o South side of the house may prevent your landlord from collecting solar energy and will lower solar gain in the winter. You want straight west or next best is southwest.

o Fast growing is bad. Especially here. Maple will be susceptible to chlorosis and the ash will succumb to emerald ash borer or lilac ash borer within a decade. You won't get shaded during your time there so best to choose the right tree for the right place for the right reason.

o Here is the accepted best list of recommended trees for the Front Range. Choose an A then come back here with your narrowed choices.

This post was edited by WxDano on Fri, Apr 5, 13 at 21:43

Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 9:42PM
More Discussions
Ilex x 'Scepter' -- anyone growing this?
Is anyone growing Ilex x 'Scepter'? It just looks like...
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA
Japanese snowbell - anyone with experience growing in zone 5?
I'm looking for a tree for our front yard. Japanese...
mattow42
Pruning yaupon holly as tree
The builder put in 15 gal (I think) yaupon holly shrubs...
Meghan Mccarthy
How far should Sassafras and Blue Spruce be from the road?
I have a tentative plan I started on in Spring for...
edlincoln
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™