Autumn Blaze Maple Seeds?

ljezuit(ChicagoIL)April 16, 2010

This is the second year for my maple tree in the backyard. It is about 2" and starting to leaf out really nice. The problem is, there are a lot of seed pods/helicopters on it.

I thought Autumn Blaze maples do not produce seeds. I was wondering if anyone else who has these trees also has seeds? Maybe it is not an Autumn Blaze? Would I be able to tell by leaf identification when they leaf out to full size? It did turn a beautiful shade of red last fall.

Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
toronado3800 Zone 6 StLouis(6)

50% of what I've read on them says seedless, 50% says near seedless.

SO, applying what I learned about catalogs and salesmen selling me hot-rod parts I always assumed the trees just got 50% fewer seeds than a run of the mill silver maple.

That said, I don't own one and I did learn them DOT slicks aren't as good as regular radials for real cars.

Bookmark   April 16, 2010 at 8:52PM
arbordave (SE MI)

When first introduced (1982?) Autumn Blaze was advertised to be seedless, but we've known for a while now that it's not. Seed production does seem to vary from year to year (my observations this spring are that we're going to have a good year for seeds). I've grown Autumn Blaze seedlings and they were somewhat variable in form and fall color.

There are some red maples (Acer rubrum) that are seedless and have good red fall color - Sun Valley is one that does well here.

Bookmark   April 17, 2010 at 8:50AM
anthonygeagea

hi
i live in the mountains of Lebanon
can someone send me some autumn blaze maple seeds, i wanna plant some.. i've looked all over here and couldn't find

Bookmark   October 6, 2011 at 11:31PM
More Discussions
Alder tree has bark curling, cracking, and falling off
One of the Alder trees on our property in northern...
rocko_54
Do the flowering pears display their show before spring?
When exactly do the callery's flower? Right now in...
tlbean2004
Recent visit to Hirosaki Castle - Maples and Ginkgo
Video link: http://youtu.be/paMIiTiS2OU Japanese Maples...
jujujojo_gw
Japanese snowbell - anyone with experience growing in zone 5?
I'm looking for a tree for our front yard. Japanese...
mattow42
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™