Echinacea purpurea 'Twilight' revert to normal purple coneflower?

ikea_gwJune 18, 2010

I bought a 'Twilight' last summer when it was on sale at the local nursery. At the time, it had pretty sparse basal leaves but bloomed well that fall. This year it seems that it no longer blooms like 'Twilight' with its distinctive color and form. It looks like a normal purple coneflower but with droopy flower petals. Is this possible?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brit5467(7b/8a Coastal VA)

No expert, but from others on here I've learned that many plants that were hybridized (sp?) to create unique plants only grow that way the first year and then DO revert back to the original parent plant.

I was told this when I got all excited last year about 'stealing' some seeds from a hybrid plant at my eye dr. office and was told that would probably happen.

Or something like that. I'm sure the more seasoned folk can tell you more.

Bookmark   June 19, 2010 at 12:02AM
lisa33(6b Bucks County PA)

The hybrids don't come true from seed. It's possible that your original plant didn't overwinter, and you have a new, self-seeded plant. Just a guess.

Bookmark   June 19, 2010 at 8:02AM
ikea_gw

I really don't think this is a new seedling. For one thing, I have grown them from seeds before and purple coneflowers don't get very large the first year. This is behaving almost like a grafted plant but the top died off and the root stock is blooming. Do you know how they propagate these hybrid purple coneflowers? It is actually a very pretty flower... it is just not twilight. :)

Bookmark   June 19, 2010 at 11:21AM
wieslaw59

It happened to me too, but with Tomato Soup. I overwintered it in my basement, so it did not even lose its basal leaves. These year all the big shoots are ordinary purple. To top this all, some flowers are distorted and some have quilled petals(as in Big Sky series). You can't really imagine my surprise.

Bookmark   August 3, 2011 at 9:49AM
wieslaw59

Here are my pictures what happened to Tomato Soup.

As you can see, the form of the flower (except distortion) and the habit of the plant is like Tomato Soup.

Bookmark   September 3, 2011 at 7:47PM
More Discussions
Names of these two plants?
Can someone help me with the names of these two bushes?...
rocklandguyZ8,SC
Why all the old stuff?
I'm curious--why am I seeing so many resurrected posts...
Kirstin Zone 5a NW Chicago
What plant are you anxiously awaiting the return of in the spring?
Well, maybe not *anxiously* awaiting but awaiting nevertheless. For...
mxk3
NEWBIES: dealing with heavy clay soil
i praise the Lord.. i have never had to deal with it...
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
Bought Colocasia esculenta tubers... now what?
I bought today a pack of 4 Colocasia esculenta tubers. They...
green_go
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™