Help!..is my Tamukeyama dead?? :(

VikulyanApril 12, 2012

We planted a Tamukeyama Japanese Maple in front of our house at the end of summer 2011. It was doing great after we planted it, and we waited after the crazy Oklahoma summer heat to plant it to be safe! Well it's Spring now, and after the leaves fell off this winter, no new bulbs are coming in! :(

I worried more about the cheaper Japanese Maple we purchased at Lowe's that we planted in the back, but that one bloomed early this Spring and looks beautiful! This one we purchased at a nice nursery and probably spent the most on it for that flower bed, and it is the only thing not looking so well this Spring...:( Is it too late for it? Is it completely gone..? How can I tell?

Pics:

http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/3443/imag0442s.jpg

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/24/imag0443a.jpg

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
whaas_5a(5A SE WI)

Its odd that it wouldn't have leafed out in your area yet but just scratch a main stem (or even the main trunk).

If its green you're good...brown and its dead.

Bookmark   April 12, 2012 at 9:15PM
j0nd03

I would be very... suspicious at this point. The only thing yet to break bud in my yard are dead branches. EVERYTHING else is well on their way with some things already pushing out 1' of growth, including an 'Orangeola' pushing 8"+.

Scratch test pronto!

John

Bookmark   April 12, 2012 at 9:52PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

at the end of summer 2011

==>> was it a late season bargain???

give it a week or two.. and then get rid of it.. if it shows no sign of life.. or is so stunted as to not be worthwhile ...

now. ... i see this beautiful green lawn.. looking like 50 plus feet.. towards the street ..

and you have this tree within what looks like 2 feet of the house .. whats that all about ... there is a chance.. the retained and reflected heat of winter sun.. cooked it.. who knows ....

if and when you replace it.. plant it NO CLOSER than 6 feet from the house ... its all about planning for its future natural growth ...

good luck

ken

Bookmark   April 13, 2012 at 7:57AM
gardengal48

I would hestiate to pull the plug yet :-) Although the photo could be larger, there looks to be viable buds on the tree and no obvious signs of dead (read grey or black) wood. Sometimes more recently planted items just take a bit longer to respond and leaf out.

And I'd not be overly concerned about placement either. Tamukeyama is a weeping dissectum, easily trained to grow in a specific horizontal direction, so closeness to structure, wall, fence etc. is not particularly critical. These types of JM's are often used to anchor corners or small planters in my area.

Bookmark   April 13, 2012 at 3:22PM
More Discussions
Getting below freezing temps tonight, will it hurt my peach tree in bl
I'm in Dalles GA. temps will drop into the high 20's...
abykatz22
Green-limbed Tree?
What kind of tree is this with the green trunk &...
blakrab Centex
How long does it take oak tree leaves to fully grow once they wake up?
When the leaves start to grow on oak trees on any tree...
tlbean2004
?? What tree is this?
This is in my garden, I have looked but cannot be sure...
polkadoll
Evergreen Shade and Privacy Trees for Houston Texas
I live in Spring, Texas, which is in climate zone 8b....
duren27
Sponsored Products
Miniature Bracket Lamp
$112.99 | Dot & Bo
Anderson Chair - Lucky Turquoise Blue
Joybird Furniture
White Ceramic 10" High Pocket Wall Sconce
$49.90 | Lamps Plus
Crossing Diamond Rug 3'9" x 5'9" - CHOCOLATE
$229.00 | Horchow
Bell Bird Feeder with Copper Roof - Feeder Only - White with Copper
Signature Hardware