will knockout roses come back after hard prune?

vivian_2010May 2, 2011

I have several red knockout and double knock out roses. They grew to ~ 2-3 feet last year and bloomed nicely. I hard prune them to ~ 1 feet tall, without too much thoughts. Now new growth start to appear. But will any damage be done due to the hard prune? Will they still grow to bloom in time? last year the bloom started in early June.

Thanks,

Vivian

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lainey2(7a)

I'm in zone 6b, so yours may not get as big as mine, but I bought one gallon plants in pots from Lowes three years ago. Last year they grew to five to five and a half feet tall. They looked like they were eating up my one story house, so dh cut them back one third to one half with hedge clippers in March. They have grown a foot already and are covered in buds with a dozens of blooms on each plant. I don 't think you need to worry.

Bookmark   May 2, 2011 at 9:21PM
seil zone 6b MI

You did nothing wrong! You could use a hedge trimmer to cut them down (though I don't recommend that) and they'd still grow back strong. Pruning any rose encourages new growth so you'll be surprised how quickly they'll spring back up. Make sure you've cut out all dead canes, canes that point directly into the center of the rose (to open the center for good air flow to prevent disease) and any crossing or rubbing canes. If you cut off the spent flowers after they bloom you'll get a bigger rebloom the next round. And you can cut them down some during the season if they're getting too tall or out of shape. It won't hurt them!

Bookmark   May 3, 2011 at 3:16PM
vivian_2010

Thanks Lainey and Seil for your comments. Now I feel much better. New growth started to show up on all brunches now. So I am watching and praying. Now just heard that we may have frost tonight. So keep fingers crossed.

Vivian

Bookmark   May 3, 2011 at 8:50PM
seil zone 6b MI

Vivian, a light frost won't hurt them. Most roses can take temps down to about 28� before there is severe damage to new growth. If it's going to be a prolong freeze cover them with an old sheet at night to protect them.

Bookmark   May 4, 2011 at 9:31PM
trustmissy(5MidMich)

I have had my knockout roses pruned by the rabbits to the point that I didn't think they had a chance. They all came back strong and healthy. That is the advantage of own-root rose bushes.

Bookmark   May 8, 2011 at 8:02AM
More Discussions
I just gotta have it!
I don't know why I used to be satisfied with just a...
sara_ann-z6bok
Anyone grow Delbard roses (like Dames de Chenonceau)?
I've been told that the Delbards are a lot like Austins....
gardenerzone4
Since this Forum is starting over again
I have an idea, lets post or locations and our Zones....
dan_keil_cr Keil
Do growing conditions affect fragrance *types* in your experience
... I mean like making a clove-smelling rose smell...
laura242424
DA Coupon codes
Hi, I have the following coupon code and was wondering...
annofpa zone 6b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™