Plants for poor soil?

lisa2004(NY Z5/6)June 23, 2010

I put in a little garden last year where a large tree had been taken down. It was kind of a last minute thing in the fall. I planted a few grasses, 2 knock out roses and some catmint. The grasses look good, but nothing looks great. I know that I didn't do a very good job ammending the soil. So, now I'm looking for a few plants that do well in poor dry soil. Yes, I know the soil can still be fixed, but my gardens are becomming a full time job and I just don't have the energy. (I still need to get on the ladder to prune the wisteria that's about to come in through my windows)!

I know Russian sage is supposed to do well, but I think the area gets a little less sun than the plant likes. I thought monarda did well in poor soil, but not from what I'm reading.

I am thankful for any suggestions.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
connietn

Geranium Biokovo is supposed to do very well in dry shade. It's on my want list for under an oak tree. :)

I can think of more perennials for full sun that do OK in lean/dry soil. How much sun does that area get? I have read that Achillea and Echinacea tend to flop in too-rich soil. Some of my Echinacea seem to do really well in part sun. I have some Green Jewels at the canopy edge of the oak tree. They get sun in the morning and bright light the rest of the day, and they seem to love it!

Bookmark   June 23, 2010 at 10:09PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

where a large tree had been taken down .... I didn't do a very good job amending the soil.

===>>>> was it ground out.. and did you remove the grindings???

if not ... you will have moisture issues as well as nitro deficiencies ... and both are needed to rot all the wood left in the soil ..

ken

Bookmark   June 24, 2010 at 8:36AM
mxk3(Zone 6 SE MI)

How much sun is the area getting? That is helpful info in recommending plants for dry, poor soils. Lot more plants that do best in sunny dry locations than dry shade. Is it possible to keep an eye on the area for a couple days, note the time of day it receives sun and for how long and report back?

Bookmark   June 24, 2010 at 2:52PM
lisa2004(NY Z5/6)

Initially I would have said the whole area gets full sun. But after 2 years of having plants there I would have to say that one side gets full sun and the other gets less than full sun. But I wouldn't say the area is shady. The only reason I noticed that it gets less sun is because all the plants on that side are smaller, so I really started watching.
As far as the tree trunk goes, I did not have it ground down. However, the tree was taken down 4 or 5 years ago. There is no visable trunk. Just some underground roots. I would think that by now they are totally dead, but who knows.

Bookmark   June 24, 2010 at 10:32PM
More Discussions
How to ask Houzz a question?
When the switch over first happened I could easily...
Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
true pink or purple oriental poppies
Hi, I've tried to grow pink and purple oriental poppies...
mary_rockland
Whatcha' doing?
What garden related shenanigans are you guys up to? I'm...
christinmk z5b eastern WA
Suggestions To Make This Forum Better
A Private Message feature would be great! Add yours!...
WendyJoZ8
Winterizing perennials?
Just moved into a new home with lots of established...
chaven
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™