where to buy course sand in atl ga?

stuart_2008(7 GA)June 11, 2008

Live in Kennesaw. Have been to HOme Depot, Lowes, Ace, Pikes and others and can only find fine sand. Anyone know where to find commercial grade course sand in this area?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
blutranes(z8 Mid Ga)

Stuart,

You may get a lead using the link below. Google "course sand kennesaw georgia"...

Here is a link that might be useful: Aggreate / Materials

Bookmark   June 11, 2008 at 5:16PM
jbest123(Zone 5 PA)

Check with Lowes again. Ask for swiming pool filter sand.

John

Bookmark   June 11, 2008 at 5:29PM
farmersteve(N. AL Zone 7)

I was on the same quest last year in my area (N. Alabama). I would check any local large nurseries or landscaping companies that carry landscaping materials in bulk. Ask for "paver's sand" or the landscaper's opinion on what would be best. That's what worked for me.

Good Luck,
Steve

Bookmark   June 12, 2008 at 11:00AM
drafted72(Chicago)

Be careful if you are adding that sand to your clay soil to break it up. I tried doing that and the results were less than satisfactory. The sand was like glue that held the clay together. It formed little balls about the size of quarters which could not be broken apart. After doing a lot more reading about the subject of adding sand to your clay soil, I found that many sources do not recommend adding sand because of the problems you may have.

Good Luck.

Bookmark   June 12, 2008 at 12:38PM
stuart_2008(7 GA)

Would using organic materials mixed with the clay @ 50/50 be appropriate to get good drainage for my azaleas in clay soil?

Bookmark   June 12, 2008 at 2:00PM
blutranes(z8 Mid Ga)

Would using organic materials mixed with the clay @ 50/50 be appropriate to get good drainage for my azaleas in clay soil?

IMO, it would be 100% better than it would be if you added sand. In my clay soil I have only used compost and shredded leaves and I challenge anyone to find any clay soil to a depth of 12 inches or more. Organic matter in red Georgia clay has made all the difference in my plots, there is no other solution IMO...

Blutranes

Bookmark   June 12, 2008 at 2:12PM

Stuart,

I have added sand (paver's sand) to my clay with satisfactory results. I think that my success was in the fact that I added about equal amounts of sand to the existing clay. Although I agree with blutranes that organic matter can have the best results (and possibly with the least risk) when amending clay.

Steve

Bookmark   June 12, 2008 at 5:42PM
stuart_2008(7 GA)

Thanks everyone for the help. I think I will just go with the 50/50 clay and organic materials.

Bookmark   June 12, 2008 at 8:36PM
Belgianpup(Wa/Zone 7b)

Ask for white silica sand ('sharp' sand). Under no condition buy the kind of 'sand' that looks like clay pebbles. Contact a place that supplies wholesale concrete ingredients to builders. Try the two below:

Alley-Cassetty Brick - Auburn
1399 Duncan Lane, Auburn, GA 30011
Phone: (770) 791-0015

Alley-Cassetty Brick - Morrow
1115 Southern Road, Morrow, GA 30260
Phone: (770) 961-4477

Sue

Bookmark   June 13, 2008 at 1:16AM
drafted72(Chicago)

Here is a thread which this topic was discussed at length.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clay + Sand

Bookmark   June 13, 2008 at 2:11AM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

For amending your clay soil the best thing you can add is organic matter, leaves, compost, even wood chips. What you need is a humus level, the residual amount of organic matter in your soil, of around 5 to 8 percent.
The native habitat for Azaleas, or any Rhododendron, is as an understory plant in the forest, growing in a soil well endowed with organic matter, that is evenly moist and well drained.
Sand will not do that. If you could get enough sand mixed into the clay to start to make any difference any moisture would flow through so quickly that the plants would not be able to use it.

Bookmark   June 13, 2008 at 7:14AM

"If you could get enough sand mixed into the clay to start to make any difference any moisture would flow through so quickly that the plants would not be able to use it."

kimmsr,

Not in my experience.

Steve

Bookmark   June 13, 2008 at 6:11PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Steve, what is your native soil mixture? How much clay, silt, and sand does your soil contain and in what proportion?

Bookmark   June 14, 2008 at 7:26AM

Kimmsr,
I did the "add some soil to a jar of water test" and after a few days waiting for everything to settle out I found that most of the material was not going to. There were some thin layers of coarser material at the bottom of the jar (and a few floating on the top), but the vast majority of the material was very small clay particles that did not really settle out well at all (it feels all slimy when it's in the water like that). From that test, which I performed a few times in a few different places, I concluded that I have clay, at least 85 or 90% clay (that's a rough estimate).
In the yard, below the top inch or two (where the sod was once laid) it's thick and marbled with chalky white and rust colored stuff. It takes me 15 minutes with a high pressure hose and a scrub brush to properly clean a shovel after working with it (by the way I have gone through two of those "10 year guarantee" shovels from Lowe's and at least 3 spading forks trying to work the soil in my yard - they just fold up like paper). The only other material that is in the ground in any quantity is chunks of chert.

Steve

Bookmark   June 14, 2008 at 8:10PM
californian

Did you ever think of looking in the yellow pages? Just about any building supply place should sell bulk sand. Masonary or plaster sand would be fine, concrete sand would be coarser. You can also get sand premixed with pea gravel, or just pea gravel. Last time I checked it was about $45 a cubic yard plus delivery. If you take a full 10 cubic yard truck load they will usually give you a better price or eliminate the delivery charge. If you buy it in Lowes or Home depot by the bag it will cost you a fortune if you need a lot. Silica sand is used for sand blasting and is the most expensive, would be a waste of money for your purposes.

Bookmark   June 17, 2008 at 1:12AM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Steve:
You may want to spend some time with this article by Keith Baldwin, who was at the time he wrote this a professor of Soil Science at North Caolina State University, as I recall.

Here is a link that might be useful: Amending Clay Soils

Bookmark   June 17, 2008 at 7:20AM

kimmsr,
Great article! I think this is exactly what we should all be striving for and if you include the final paragraph of the article:

"A note of caution to gardeners who would attempt to improve clay soils by amending them with sand: This is a very risky business unless the sand (often incorporated as much as 50:50 by volume) is a very sharp sand. Otherwise, additions of sand to clay soil can create a cementlike creature that resists root growth and impedes the flow of air and water."

it is exactly what this thread is discussing, i.e. paver's sand or masonry sand.

Steve

Bookmark   June 18, 2008 at 6:20PM
More Discussions
Is non-organic compost OK?
Hello, I am wondering if buying compost from a small,...
kebenn2
Can I use Miracle Gro Garden Soil by itself ?
I just bought Miracle Gro Garden Soil with some bags...
maximus2015
Lots of grass, not much "brown"?
So I live in the tropics of Australia, 4-5m of rainfall...
archades
what say you on on reusing ashes to soil?
We barbecue often and use charcoal (absolutely no lighter...
flyinbtsomypants (WestCent.FL Z9b-10a)
Hate new GW
I hate the new Garden Web! I cannot figure it out!
annpat
Sponsored Products
Menlo Park Three-Light Old Bronze Chandelier
$750.00 | Bellacor
Perfection Decanter - Holmegaard
$75.00 | HORNE
Outdoor Area Rug: Escape Cocoa Beach Sand 2' x 4'
$58.97 | Home Depot
Sticks and Stones Floor Lamp
$109.99 | Dot & Bo
Florence Knoll Style Armchair-White - 100% Italian Leather
IFN Modern