Craftsman LT1000 with Briggs And Stratton 17.5 HP Engine ohv

geoffrey_2009July 19, 2009

Hi all

Craftsman LT1000 with Briggs And Stratton 17.5 HP Engine ohv

1st problem: Runs fine for about half an hour then dies

2nd Problem Definite loss of ground speed in all gears

Jobs done so far: Dropped head and cleaned all + valves gapped valves,checked gas cap and fuel lines, stripped carb and cleaned it, new battery, new plug, i am thinking it might be a bad coil causing engine to die but this wouldn't cause loss of ground speed would it? would appreciate any help you might have.

Thanks Geoff

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rcbe(6)

how did you ck gas cap and fuel lines ? new fuel filter ?

Bookmark   July 19, 2009 at 11:46AM
tomplum

If the above bases were covered thoroughly, a coil would be a good guess. They are not prone to create this issue to the degree other makes are however. I'm assuming that the engine is running strong otherwise and may just need a traction belt.

Bookmark   July 19, 2009 at 12:21PM
geoffrey_2009

Ok guys new development... I Just Ran It for An Hour (Cut my back lawn) I Noticed At start up that the fuel filter ( New Btw) was slightly over half full of gas after an hour of running under load engine started spluttering and died. Fuel filter was almost dry maybe a 1/4 full if that Just before it died. so i started it again and full filter filled up to about half way and engine was running fine? i disconnected the wire that goes into the bottom of carb bowl and it kills engine so it would appear that whatever it is, is working OK? So Now i'm thinking that its maybe fuel starvation. but remember it ran fine for an hour?
Any Ideas based on this new information? and hole/vent in gas cap is clear of any obstruction

Bookmark   July 19, 2009 at 1:14PM
mownie(7)

Fuel tank may have some "migrant trash" moving around that randomly cover and obstruct the fuel pick-up port in the fuel tank. Try to shine a flashlight into the tank while you are in a darkened area or in the shade (helps your eyes to adjust to see in the tank) and you might be able to see the offensive debris. You may need to empty the tank and remove the tank for a good clean out.

Bookmark   July 19, 2009 at 1:46PM
rcbe(6)

"i disconnected the wire that goes into the bottom of carb bowl and it kills engine so it would appear that whatever it is, is working OK?"
yeah, that's the shutdown solenoid (or anti-afterfire sol) and keep it hooked back up as it lets fuel into the carb while energized by the ignition switch turned to the "on" position.
Also agree with mownie's comments on cleaning tank.. and if the machine >4 yrs old - replace the fuel lines. Older fuel lines can get soft when hot, collapse or kink and starve engine.

Bookmark   July 19, 2009 at 1:56PM
geoffrey_2009

thanks Guys
will dump the tank and give it a good clean. Fuel lines look good but i think i will change umm out anyways. Be one thing less to consider. again thanks for the input

Bookmark   July 19, 2009 at 2:26PM
cusser(AZ)

'Craftsman LT1000 with Briggs And Stratton 17.5 HP Engine ohv
1st problem: Runs fine for about half an hour then dies
2nd Problem Definite loss of ground speed in all gears
'

OK, I have the exact same unit, and had the same problem last year. I spent an entire morning checking stuff out, including using a spark tester tool, checking the valve clearances and the 'coil'. Anyway, none of those were the issue, the issue was that the carburetor choke was NOT spring back to the 'open' position after engine warm up/engine start. I saw some 'fixes' on the Internet which detailed how to remove the verical carb butterfly shaft and shave it down a little so it wouldn't stick. I figured I could always 'open' it manually with my hand after a few minutes, but instead drilled a small hole forward of it in the plastic housing, and put a 25 cent spring from there to the ALREADY-PRESENT hole in the black horizontal lever that attaches to the vertical butterfly shaft. See photo at http://www.uploadhouse.com/viewfile.php?id=2339206 before I added the spring. The hole I used is in the foreground; the choke lever from the driver seat pushes the black lever counterclockwise to close the choke, and when I release that lever, the spring I added pulls the black lever clockwise to open the choke.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo link

Bookmark   July 19, 2009 at 5:11PM
mownie(7)

OK cusser, enough already! We now know you wear old fashioned panties, but this not one of "those" forums.

Bookmark   July 19, 2009 at 6:47PM
windcatcher

Now, now, Mownie. The panties is one thing, but the pink stuff is something else. Looks like some of it was mown quite nicely too. :D

Bookmark   July 20, 2009 at 1:51PM
walt2002

Always amazes me that people don't do the simple tests in these cases like seeing if there is good spark when the engine dies and put your lips against the gas tank filler and blow (do not inhale) to test for fuel starvation for instance for instance. Worn insulation or bad connectors on fuel solenoid valve is another good place to look.

Walt Conner

Bookmark   July 21, 2009 at 9:39PM
More Discussions
Tuff Torq K46 Tranny
I've been reading many of the posts on this site and...
tuco
John Deere SRX75 Rider Issue
I have an old Deere SRX75 30" rider with a Kawasaki...
itzbinnice
Thoughts on a good lawn tractor.
This appears to be a site of knowledgeable folks with...
VAlandlover
Craftsman FS 5500 clutch issue.
With the engine running, when attempting to drive forward...
mrgizmos
Rider lift 88.88 this weekend
HFHorrible Freight rider lift. Works pretty well!
tomplum
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™