My New High Concept Garden -- 'Sink Ye or Swim Ye'!

jayco(5b NY)June 14, 2011

I have too much of a lot of stuff, the sort of thugs that look beautiful but they choke everything around them to death with their super-aggressive spreading. I'm talking yarrow, sun drops, bee balm, rudbeckia, certain irises, lamium, clustered bellflower, etc. You get the idea.

So I created a new garden, which I am calling the "Sink Ye or Swim Ye" garden. Yup, I'm doing nothing for these plants. They get dumped, and then they're on their own. I'm curious to see what will happen. Well, I already have seen some of what happens -- namely that yarrow and sundrops and monarda and rudbeckia barely notice the change and are growing just fine in this lousy unamended soil which I never water (except when I first planted), never fertilize, nope, nuthin. Hey, I LIKE this kind of gardening!

So now I'm saving my beds for the more delicate flowers, and the thugs have their own playpen.

Do y'all do this already and I'm just behind the curve?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pippi21(Z7 Silver Spring, Md.)

I must have my clustered bellflower planted in wrong place because it is very happy next to the shorter version of shasta and hasn't taken over. I only have two plants of it but have more seeds. I love that plant.Maybe I should sow those other seeds in the Fall so they'll bloom next Spring.

Bookmark   June 15, 2011 at 3:49AM
laceyvail(6A, WV)

My yarrow are extremely well behaved. I long ago got rid of all A. millefolium cultivars and 'Moonshine', 'Terracotta' and 'Fireland' don't ever get thuggish. Of course, I NEVER let them go to seed.

Bookmark   June 15, 2011 at 5:52AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

I hope you'll let us know who wins. My money's on the yarrow.

Bookmark   June 15, 2011 at 9:34AM
mad_gallica(zone 5 - eastern New York)

My money is on the goldenrod. I have a couple of these gardens, and that's the one that always wins.

Bookmark   June 15, 2011 at 12:25PM
jayco(5b NY)

I don't have any goldenrod! I'm OK if the yarrow wins -- it's a really pretty dark purply-pink, so it can take over if it wants to. But so far the rudbeckia and sundrops are giving it a run for its money.

Bookmark   June 15, 2011 at 4:11PM
oliveoyl3

Early this spring we started a long border of thugs using the lasagna garden method. The idea was to put the spreaders & ramblers together to duke it out & not make more work for us, but less as we surrounded fruit trees & curved the edge for easier lawn mowing. Sure beats ducking under trees, uneven turf & curving around stump, so my guys are okay with it.

So far, so good... I know it's going to be a jungle next year, but since nothing is precious I can snip & tuck all I want to make it look presentable.

Bookmark   June 16, 2011 at 11:44AM
ramazz(8a VA)

What you describe is pretty much my approach to landscaping. I baby them a little when they are newly planted but after that, they are on their own. I do have an overabundance of rudbeckias this year,but they are in full bloom and I have no complaints.

Becky

Bookmark   June 16, 2011 at 3:50PM
More Discussions
true pink or purple oriental poppies
Hi, I've tried to grow pink and purple oriental poppies...
mary_rockland
Agapanthus - where to buy?
I want to grow Agapanthus - the white one. Anyone know...
bluehaven_gweb
Winterizing perennials?
Just moved into a new home with lots of established...
chaven
Growing Yucca in container?
I seem to remember a member mentioning they were experimenting...
christinmk z5b eastern WA
daves10
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™