magnolia tree

KCmom4April 21, 2014

I live in Missouri and Magnolia tree us brown and the leaves are falling off like I have never seen before.
Is it because of the winter we had?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
JonCraig(6b)

I'd guess so. My Little Gem cultivar is doing likewise. A guy up the road has two good sized magnolias (I'd always assumed regular 'ol Grandiflora just 'cause of how large they were⦠probably 40' at least). They're dead as doornails this spring--really sad. I can only assume that whatever cultivar they were, it didn't like a couple weeks in the single digits.

But to answer your question, so long as the majority of the leaves are still green--and assuming you don't have any sort of insects and/or disease--I'd attribute it to the winter and not worry too much. That's what I'm doing, anyway. ;-)

Bookmark   April 21, 2014 at 9:54PM
poaky1

Look for swollen buds. My evergreen Mags have shed their leaves, but have swollen buds, for new leaves. If there are no swollen buds, sorry but it's a goner.

Bookmark   April 21, 2014 at 11:23PM
famartin(z5 NE NV)

I presume you mean an evergreen Southern Magnolia? (Magnolia grandiflora)

Bookmark   April 22, 2014 at 5:50AM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

'Little Gem' burns in my part of Zone 8 so I would certainly expect damage in Zone 6..

Bookmark   April 23, 2014 at 1:13AM
Linda

I am in Ohio and so I assume we are both around the same zone. This is the northernmost limits for most Magnolias, esp. M. grandiflora. This winter was just too much for many of them.

Your Magnolia may leaf out again. Many trees can and do leaf out after their foliage has been killed by cold. You will have to wait and see.

Linda

Bookmark   April 23, 2014 at 1:18AM
poaky1

Famartin, I mean Mag Grandiflora, the regular southern Mag, and my Brackens Brown Beauty. The Bracken's brown's buds got ugly over the last evening or 2. I think it will be fine.

Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 8:08PM
More Discussions
Two trees start blooming in milder climate ...
I know the first is Hong Kong orchid. I forget the...
jujujojo_gw
need help pruning trees
I have a Kentucky Coffee Tree (gymnocladus dioicus)...
Dave Varel
where to prune these maples?
ugh what happened to GW?? anywho - need some advice...
skyjumper
Is this diseased?
This is a new young tree I purchased from Ebay. I planted...
rubyhum
Maple, Beech, Oak - proximity to natural gas line?
I will be planting the following trees at these distances...
johniferous
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™