Coreopsis Creme Brulee-Blooms Are Dying

nmchugh6June 28, 2010

I bought this two weeks ago and planted immediately. (Mix of native NJ sandy soil(good 75%) and remainder organic soil). Looked fine week one. Last week I noticed some buds looked droopey. Gave her some water every other day. Now at 2 weeks after original planting, most blooms are gone. Is this normal? Should I pinch, how? Should I sheer with sharp sizzors? With either method, what should I expect next? (How soon for more blooms)?

Thanks for any help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
denninmi(8a)

It's pretty normal for most perennials to have flowers for a week or two tops out of the season. I haven't grown this particular coreopsis, but most of the ones I've grown have been basically like this. However, most coreopsis will rebloom a little bit if deadheaded, unlike say a peony where that's it for the year.

And yes, you can definitely use scissors to cut it back -- I'd say you can cut as much as about half of it off, water and maybe give it a shot of miracle grow or similar, and it should bloom again in a few weeks, but not as heavily as the first time.

Maybe someone who has grown this particular one will chime in with a better answer, but I think I'm at least in the ballpark.

Bookmark   June 29, 2010 at 3:35PM
gottagarden(z5 western NY)

CB blooms for a very long time, I suspect it lost blooms due to transplant shock and/or it started blooming a long time ago in the greenhouse.

Bookmark   June 30, 2010 at 7:47AM
wieslaw59

It has never returned for me after the first winter.Nobody is selling it here in Denmark anymore.

Bookmark   August 3, 2011 at 9:14AM
More Discussions
Your experience with Heliopsis Loraine Sunshine
I'd like to try Heliopsis Loraine Sunshine and pair...
summerstar
A walk in the park
A few pictures from my local park this morning.
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
NEWBIES: stay out of your garden
ALL NEWBIES .... I KNOW YOU HAVE THE FEVER.... the...
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
Looking for Dianthus 'Mrs. Sinkins'
Is anyone growing this Dianthus or know where I can...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
hey newbie: straw or hay
so you say.. whats the difference.. well .. i will...
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™