Craftsman Mower 917.259573 dies when blades are engaged

RobLeeTXJuly 29, 2014

I Have a craftsman riding mower 917.259573 with a manual PTO engage lever. The mower starts and runs fine but dies when I engage the blades. The blades will start spinning before it dies and even if I quickly disengage the blades it does not recover.

I replaced the seat safety switch - no help. Check the deck pulleys and spun the blades ok. I removed the mower belt and engaged the PTO - engine continued to run. So I am thinking anything to do with the safety switch is ok.

there is a 30 Amp fuze in the wiring harness - but I am thinking if it was blown the engine would not even start.

Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bill_kapaun

Sounds like an engine power issue.
Check the carb/intake system for loose bolts/air leaks etc.

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 12:14PM
RobLeeTX

Thanks Bill, After my first post I tried full power before engaging the blades as it was dying I disengaged the PTO and choked it to keep the engine running. Did this about 5 times and the engine stayed running with the blades engaged. I think it was a power issue as well due to the mower setting for several months while I was trying to fix another issue.

I think we can call this one solved!

Thanks!
Rob

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 1:26PM
bill_kapaun

Probably stale gas.

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 1:34PM
evo123

Twin cylinder one side not working Mabe a valve problem on one side if one is bad replace both heads use 20 50 racing oil or synthetic oil no more head problems change oil 8 to 10 hours engine wares out quickly with straight 30 they took anti ware stuff out know they just call it convenital oil

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 3:41PM
decoy91288(8)

one cylinder not firing? had that issue and replaced pushrods for a complete fix.

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 7:25PM
More Discussions
John Deere SRX75 Rider Issue
I have an old Deere SRX75 30" rider with a Kawasaki...
itzbinnice
which is better Simplicity Broadmore 44" or Husqvarna GT48xlsi
I am about ready to order a new mower for my yard....
lcb65
what yall think about this for a deal a Kubota on CL
here is the link.... what yall think http://louisville.craigslist.org/grd/4760971779.html thanks...
jeanwedding
What happened???
I logged in yesterday after a prolonged absence and...
romore_gw
Do "Drift Cutters" work?
Chatting with a buddy in Connecticut, he had about...
exmar
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™