Not sure if oak tree is dead?

marinewife2009April 13, 2011

Hello!

There is an oak tree in my back yard that was apparently transplanted there (from the front) by the previous owners. I am not sure what exactly is wrong with it, but it definitely is not blooming as it should! I was wondering if any experts out there could look at the pictures and tell me if it is a lost cause . . . if not, what should we do with it? If you click on the pic below, it will take you to the picasa album. Dead Tree

It has started to flower just a bit as spring has started here in South Carolina. But it seems very diseased!

Thank you in advance for any help you can give as I am new to gardening (and to the forum!) :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tsugajunkie z5 SE WI

Whatever that bondage is that's encasing the rootball is the likely cause.

tj

Bookmark   April 13, 2011 at 10:12PM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

What is that stuff on the ground. I can't tell if it's pieces of tile or wood or what. I guess that's what TJ is talking about. Whatever it is, does it extend underground?

Bookmark   April 13, 2011 at 10:38PM
poaky1

If you're getting green new growth it's not dead, but the black on the trunk bottom is weird, I assumed those were rocks on the soil.Is it a live oak? They lose their leaves in spring and put out new ones, did it defoliate? I can't see anything that would worry me if it were my tree besides the black on the trunk,maybe my eyeballs are not working as good as someone elses.

Bookmark   April 13, 2011 at 10:52PM
Dan Staley

A good indicator that a plant is alive is when it flowers.

I suspect the black stuff on the trunk is from a brush fire. And that stuff around the trunk all looks bad. Poor thing just has obstacle after obstacle thrown at it, and it keeps going on. A lesson for all of us!

Dan

Bookmark   April 13, 2011 at 10:59PM
marinewife2009

I apologize for taking so long in responding! Crazy few days of meetings. Anyway, I think that we probably need to look at what the bondage at the bottom of the tree is. I will let you all know what the status is after we excavate around the trunk!

@Poaky, it simply does not grow at all. I realize that an oak tree would lose its leaves and then grow back, but each year it only produces a teeny tiny bit of leaves and then stagnates. That is why I am concerned.

Thanks so much for everyone's help!

Bookmark   April 15, 2011 at 10:00PM
idaho_gardener

It might need to be inoculated with soil fungus from under a healthy oak tree. Then keep it mulched.

Bookmark   April 16, 2011 at 1:18PM
More Discussions
Number 4 thread of Most successful try @ LIve oak in Pa
Okay, this is the newest thread about the Live Oak...
poaky1
Rutgers Dogwood/Azaleas for corner lot feature - Venus a good one?
Went to a local nursery and finally found some Rutgers...
Bama_Joe
Growing Hickory and Hican for Nut Production (3)
Continuing from part 1 and 2 (maximum posts reached) Good...
gardener365
what is going on?
The oak tree in our back yard started dropping these...
txrankin
Sponsored Products
Spencer Bolt Design Metal Bed - Silver - IDF-7167T
$499.99 | Hayneedle
Nickel Table Lamps: Cassiopeia 20 in. Satin Nickel Incandescent Table Lamp CLI-W
Home Depot
Sure Fit Stretch Pique Chair Slipcover - 28405
$79.99 | Hayneedle
Premium Select Brushed Steel 54-Inch Ceiling Fan with Medium Oak Blades
$518.00 | Bellacor
Illumine Outdoor Lanterns. 3-Light Black Wall Mount Lantern with Clear Beveled G
Home Depot
Reflect Mirror
Grandin Road
Solid Wood Shaker Cabinet End Table
Overstock.com
Navy Angelou Rug
$16.99 | zulily
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™