brown canes

shelleyh(z5 NY)May 2, 2014

Most of my florabundas have brown canes with little budding however when I bend the stems they feel rubbery and there is a green color under the brown. I don't know if I should cut the plants down or wait for some budding. Any advice?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sammy zone 7 Tulsa

As you cut them, what does the pith inside the cane look like? I seldom wait too long this time of year. I go ahead and cut, and allow the rose to renew itself - unless it is a once bloomer.

Sammy

Bookmark   May 3, 2014 at 5:41AM
mad_gallica(zone 5 - eastern New York)

I'd wait. The forsysthia is still blooming, so it is still early. It will probably all be cut down anyway, but waiting will give you a clearer idea of what to do.

Once upon a time, I did some late fall pruning. Something happened, and I didn't get the clippings all picked up. When I found them the next spring, they were still green and flexible.

Bookmark   May 3, 2014 at 9:45AM
seil zone 6b MI

You don't have to cut it all off at once. Take off anything you know is dead now and give them a couple more weeks to see what may start to bud out and then take off the rest. I usually end up having to do this every year because on the first round I tend to err on the side of caution and leave things that look iffy. Then once it gets warmer and they start to really grow I can see that they need further pruning and where they need to get cut back more.

Bookmark   May 3, 2014 at 12:02PM
More Discussions
Since this Forum is starting over again
I have an idea, lets post or locations and our Zones....
dan_keil_cr Keil
Edmunds
If everything goes with what they have done in the...
keninnortheastga
Lilian Austin- Anyone Grow Her?
Does anyone have this rose? I am thinking of ordering...
sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)
Pruning Rosa moschata
I have Rosa moschata autumnalis 'Princesse de Nassau...
nada1712
Rose thorn infection update
For those who missed the last thread on the subject,...
alisande
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™