Did I overdo it?

gardenfanatic(MO zone5b)May 8, 2012

Today I fed my roses with liquid fertilizer. I was thinking I had heard to give each rose 1 gallon. Don't know where I heard that. So I gave each one a gallon, and 1/2 gallon on the minis. After I finished, I started wondering where in the world I got that idea. I used MaxSea, which is 16-16-16. Did I overdo it?

Deanna

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
roseseek

From what I see on line, Deanna, Maxsea is kelp based and mild enough for the Carniverous plant people to use without burning their plants. I seriously doubt you'll have any problems. If you're really worried, give them all a good drink tomorrow to flush some of it further through the soil, but I don't think you should have any issues. Kim

Bookmark   May 9, 2012 at 12:24AM
karl_bapst_rosenut(5a, NW Indiana)

When in doubt, read the label and follow label instructions. AAMOF, always read the label before using any product. If the label is unreadable, do what roseseek did and go to the product website.They most often have directions there.
I most cases if it calls for a certain amount, using more will not be better.

Bookmark   May 9, 2012 at 1:46PM
seil zone 6b MI

I think they'll be fine. Just keep them watered to help move it through the soil.

Bookmark   May 9, 2012 at 2:53PM
gardenfanatic(MO zone5b)

The instructions say 1/2 gallon per plant or 1 gallon per 6 square feet, and that's for roses, flowers, tomatoes, herbs, and vegetables. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me to give the same amount of fertilizer to a 3-4 foot tall rose bush that I would to a daylily or phlox. I didn't give any of my perennials 1/2 gallon. They each got about a quart or less, depending on the size of the plant.

Kim, I believe the carnivorous plant folks dilute it more than what the instructions say.

If it's going to burn (and I suspect it won't if a perennial or herb can handle 1/2 gallon), when will the leaves start to show it?

Deanna

Bookmark   May 9, 2012 at 7:43PM
More Discussions
Looking forward to SPRING FLUSH!
The past couple of weeks my rose bushes have begun...
sara_ann-z6bok
Small blooms on Marie van Houtte
I'm in Houston and we've had a very wet spring, lots...
humble5
How to Take Cuttings...
We are officially moving Monday, and as I walked the...
Desertgarden- Las Vegas, Z8b @ 2800 ft.
What are these red spots on my rose canes and are they bad?
Hello everyone! It's spring time and my roses are all...
Rosecandy VA, zone 7
Flowers and buds
Julia Child Chrysler Imperial Olympiad PJP
deervssteve
Sponsored Products
ELK Lighting Brantley Place 27013/1 Outdoor Post Light - Hazelnut Bronze - 11W i
$138.00 | Hayneedle
Kichler Cylinder Polished Nickel 21" Wide Bathroom Light
Lamps Plus
Mission Bay Semi-Flushmount by Maxim Lighting
$94.00 | Lumens
Savanna Outdoor Rug
$195.00 | FRONTGATE
Smiling Sriracha Tech Case
$36.99 | Dot & Bo
WAC Bronze Xenon 24" Wide Under Cabinet Light Bar
Euro Style Lighting
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™