Oak leaf hydrangea

BlueBirdPeony(5b NE Ohio)June 30, 2013

I just thought you all would like to see this. I don't know how common they are elsewhere, but this is one of the plants that draws the most attention by visitors in my garden. People can't believe it's a hydrangea.

Thought I'd share.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
terrene(5b MA)

H. quercifolia is the only hydrangea I have in the yard. A seedling I got at a swap years ago, it's gotten pretty large.

They usually have nice fall color.

Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 11:22PM
rouge21_gw(5)

That is impressive when even not in full bloom! And so this begs the request to post a photo when it is full flower.

Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 11:59PM
mxk3(Zone 6 SE MI)

I love love love love LOVE oakleaf hydrangeas. I'd love them even without the massive blooms just for the massive-sized foliage. Even better is the massive-sized rich burgundy fall foliage!

I have "Snow Queen" and some other large no-name ones which have gotten well established over the years. Also have "Pee Wee", which is a fine shorter cultivar.

Oakleafs can be touchy in colder zones until fully established IME - some TLC the first few winters until they really root in well and then they're totally care-free. Nothing bothers them, either pest or disease, IME at least. Just make sure they're well watered with at least partial sun and WOWZA!

Will try to snap pics and post later - in case anyone is needing a push over the edge :0p

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 12:46PM
woodyoak zone 5 Canada

i love them - but they don't love me! Hardiness is definitely an issue here, probably compounded by the hot, dry summers. I'd love to have one that looks as healthy as BlueBirdPeony's!

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 2:22PM
gardenweed_z6a

woodyoak - It's only a suggestion but if you're so inclined, set a recycled gallon milk jug close to the base of the plant and fill it with water. Punch a pinhole an inch from the bottom of the jug and let it water the plant at the base. It's the poor man's irrigation system. Foliage generally hides the jug from view. It's kept my hydrangeas & astilbes alive through a drought season or two.

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 12:54AM
socks

Wow. Nice.

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 10:23AM
woodyoak zone 5 Canada

gardenweed - a viable idea except that one of my garden philosophies is 'survival of the fittest' :-) If something can't survive the conditions, it isn't meant to be in my garden - no matter how nice the plant is or how much I want it to be there! So my two oakleaf hydrangeas have to tough it out on their own.....! I've given up trying to add any more though and am reasonably content to just admire other people's.

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 10:47AM
hokierustywilliamsbu

here they get 8-10 feet tall and as wide-yes once established they are gold!

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 4:00PM
ontnative(5b Can/USDA 4)

I have the cultivar 'Alice' (won as a door prize 7-8 years ago) which is supposed to be a vigorous selection by Michael Dirr. It blooms on old wood, so didn't bloom for probably the first five years I had it, due to winterkill. If it wasn't for the attractive red leaves in the fall, I would have ripped it out. I guess it finally got acclimatized to its new planting location and has bloomed each year since then. It must be just borderline hardy for me, and the dry summers don't help either.

Bookmark   July 5, 2013 at 9:46PM
More Discussions
Off to Paris!
Hello Fellow Perennial Fanatics, :) I'm off to Paris...
steve1young
Achillea sun requirements
I planted a couple of these last year and they were...
DandyLioness (CA 9, SZ 14)
Whatcha' doing?
What garden related shenanigans are you guys up to? I'm...
christinmk z5b eastern WA
Agapanthus - where to buy?
I want to grow Agapanthus - the white one. Anyone know...
bluehaven_gweb
Tall Verbena
Having finally put a name to the lanky 3' tall plant...
AnneCecilia z5 MI
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™