Strange growth

socabeth(z9CA)May 14, 2012

What would cause this? This is a Brigadoon rose. It already is through its first flush, is very healthy, but the new growth looks weird and definitely not typical of this rose. I don't know what to do with it, cut some of it off? alll of it off? keep the central bud? Why would it do this? Thanks for any help from the experts!

Beth

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kstrong(10 So Cal)

That's all normal, healthy growth indicating a Happy Happy rose. Leave it be.

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 12:04AM
seil zone 6b MI

New growth on many roses is a bright red color. It will turn green as it matures. The leaf and bud form on that all looks normal.

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 1:18AM
socabeth(z9CA)

Ok then! Thanks experts! I was not concerned about the color, more the change in growth habit since this is a hybrid tea. But I'll see what happens! I'm afraid those wimpy stems won't hold up the roses. This is a super healthy rose in prime real estate at my house, and one of my favorites! If only all my roses got this kind of sun exposure....but this is what it normally looks like - 1 bloom per stem.

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 10:41AM
kstrong(10 So Cal)

Those "wimpy" stems will put on girth and strength as they mature and will be fine to hold up the blooms when they come -- it's got to start somewhere, and this rose is just telling you it's starting now.

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 11:18AM
henry_kuska

I hope that they are right that it is normal growth, but I would not dismiss the possibility, yet, that the plant received a "boost" from a growth hormone such as low concentration round-up (has their been spray activity in the area?).

If you give the name of the hybrid tea, perhaps someone can tell you if their plant of that variety sometimes exhibited such "grandiflora like" behaviour.

Here is a link that might be useful: grandiflora

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 12:15PM
jerijen(Zone 10)

That's what Brigadoon does -- particularly in California. It's even more striking with one of my personal favorites, 'Gardens Of The World.'

You do NOT have a problem, Beth. You have a very happy rose, and one that excels in Southern California gardens.

Jeri

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 12:31PM
jacqueline9CA

I agree - your picture is that of a VERY happy rose, putting out new growth. Looks as if it is planning on getting much bigger - not unusual at all here in CA. Congratulations! Just stand back and let it be - as said above, those red spindly new canes will turn green and get much fatter & stiffer as they mature.

Jackie

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 2:00PM
henry_kuska

Sorry, I missed that you had named it in the original post. I wonder if 10 years earlier, it would have been classified as a lower growing grandiflora.

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 2:04PM
particentral(8)

I have some HTs that will occasionally put on Candelabra type clusters, then when that group is done we get back to normal. This is what they look like when they are forming those clusters.

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 2:08PM
socabeth(z9CA)

Ok, Great! Thanks everyone! Maybe I'll post another pic when the buds open so you can all be proud of yourselves for telling me to leave it alone! I tend to love them too much! Probably a common problem.....haha!
Beth

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 11:26PM
rosetom(7 Atl)

Just to pile on a bit, here, be thankful for that vigorous growth! Many HT's look like that (or worse) when they really get the growing itch. It's frustrating to have a huge cane jump up about 3 feet and have multiple buds with no 5-leaflet leaves to properly mark the debudding point. Not to worry - that's what many of them do when they get really excited to grow.

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 11:32PM
queenbee_1(7)

I am doing the happy dance! I have tons of this growth on my roses and was afraid they had something strange... Good to know what's going on..

Bookmark   May 16, 2012 at 12:03AM
socabeth(z9CA)

Update....you all were right!

I'm glad I didn't cut it off! This sure isn't normal for Brigadoon though!
Beth

Bookmark   June 5, 2012 at 1:46AM
More Discussions
Iceberg vs. Pope John Paul II
I am considering placing white roses near the entry...
Desertgarden- Las Vegas, Z8b @ 2800 ft.
Is it just me or is RU shipping really late this year?
Now, I will admit that I didn't place my order until...
kingcobbtx9b
What are these red spots on my rose canes and are they bad?
Hello everyone! It's spring time and my roses are all...
Rosecandy VA, zone 7
double yellow Lady Banksia
I was wondering if anyone had much experience with...
kaesgarden
Zone 5 Rose Gardeners "What's Your Favorite Rose'?
Please share your favorite rose. Which one do you...
allaboutrosegardening
Sponsored Products
Printed Firepit Cover
Grandin Road
Florence Style Loft Wool Armchair in Green
$489.00 | LexMod
CobraCo Smore Fork - SMF100
$29.99 | Hayneedle
Impressions Cotton Rich 800TC Solid Sheet Set - CR800CKSH SLBG
$59.99 | Hayneedle
Market Umbrella: Galtech 9-ft. Aluminum Deluxe Auto Tilt Patio Umbrella
$289.00 | Hayneedle