Didn't kill my rose yet-what is it &what should I do with it?

Fori is not pleasedMay 14, 2012

A while back I asked advice on moving an old rose bush but I chickened out. I think I will have a similar location to move it to when I get some much-needed landscaping done this fall so if I do move it, it can wait until winter.

Anyway, it looked kind of bad my first year with it due to the weather being cruddy and it got rusty but this year it's just so darn nice. I think I will take cuttings (my first ever attempt) before trying to move it.

Any idea what this rose is? Here it is before it really started to bloom. If it's easy to find I can skip trying to propagate...

It does look like it's not about to leaf on the woody stems so I'm glad I didn't cut it way back, but I don't suppose there's any way to trim it to be easier to move once it goes semi-dormant?

I like a plant that looks after itself. =)

Here is a link that might be useful: earlier pictures and questions

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ladyrose65

It looks like "Butterscotch" or "Buttercup"? I believe Vintage Roses carry this rose? Check out their website.

Bookmark   May 14, 2012 at 11:23PM
kstrong(10 So Cal)

Royal Sunset, or maybe even Brandy, if this is an unusually dark shade of what it usually puts out.

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 12:13AM
ladyrose65

I looked for it in my rose books, you have an "Amber Queen", a 1984 Floribunda from Harkness. I hope this posts, it keeps rejecting my follow-ups.

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 12:41AM
roseseek

That's a climber, definitely, and it appears to be a Royal Sunset. One of Dennison Morey's great climbers from the years when he bred roses for J&P. Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Royal Sunset

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 12:57AM
Fori is not pleased

Thanks for the ideas. I could go crazy with orange roses apparently!

I think I'll have to rule out Amber Queen which does look right but I think this plant has been in the ground longer than the 80s. The previous owner thought it had been in since the greenhouse was installed in the late 50s or early 60s. The classy fence post is newer. :)

What makes a climber a climber instead of something that was pruned funny? Aside from the obvious trunks, this one doesn't put out any long branches. But it's had so much "shaping" I can't tell.

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 10:44AM
charleney(8a PNW)

Not Butterscotch.
Butterscotch is more brown.

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 10:58AM
jerijen(Zone 10)

Amber Queen was my first thought, but as noted above, it's not a climber. I suspect Royal Sunset, which is a real beauty.

Jeri

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 12:34PM
More Discussions
Strawberry Hill
Hi everybody :) I'm thinking of buying Strawberry Hill....
rosecanadian
Julia Child for Pacific Northwest garden
I am on Vancouver Island and would love to add Julia...
Blueisland BC Pacific NW-Z8
Roses from highcountry roses - really disappointed
I received my roses from highcountryroses today. It...
bluehaven_gweb
Is "horticultural oil" just mineral oil?
I've been reading about it and am confused. I know...
nonconformist_nymphette
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™