CL Rose w/no buds

bellarosa(z5/IL)May 6, 2012

Hi everyone,

I have a rose, a climber, I think it's called, "Jazz". I fertilized this rose once in April and it's grown incredibly tall, but no buds, not a one. :-(

What could be wrong? I fertilized it with Magic Mills in late April. It is partially shaded and it faces East, so it gets the afternoon sun.

Any ideas what could be wrong? I have another rose, Colette, that's loaded with buds and she's planted a few feet away.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jacqueline9CA

Sometimes climbing roses get busy growing, but don't bloom until they have achieved some height. I would STOP giving it nitrogen fertilizer. There are types of fertilizer (usually BLOOM is in the name) designed to encourage flowers, not growth. I would use that the next time it is time to fertilize this rose, and wait. It will bloom in its own time.

Jackie

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 11:51AM
seil zone 6b MI

Yes, there is a climber named Jazz or That's Jazz. What does the growth at the tip of the canes look like? Are there several sprouts coming out at the tip? It may be blind growth. I would snip off the tips and see if it will grow and set blooms then. The other cause may be not enough sun. Roses will grow fine but will not bloom well if they don't get enough sun.

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 11:55AM
bellarosa(z5/IL)

Thank you both for the info. I'll have to check my rose again. She bloomed last year with just three little blooms and this year, she has put out so much growth, it's amazing. I'll have to see if there's any blind growth and report back. Thanks again!

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 9:19PM
rosetom(7 Atl)

Climbers take awhile to establish themselves. Many won't bloom except on old wood - that means 2nd year of growth, at least. Then too, many will only bloom from horizontal canes - not vertical. Once established, though, look out! ;-)

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 10:36PM
karl_bapst_rosenut(5a, NW Indiana)

Was this a grafted rose and have you considered it may be Dr. Huey Root stock growing? This would account for no buds and vigorous growth.

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 11:36PM
rosetom(7 Atl)

BTW, I would not be concerned about the "fertilizer" you used - Mills Magic Mix. It's the right treatment for weak roses. Mills Magic Mix is an organic and will not burn roses. (It may pucker leaves under the right conditions, but that's the extent of it.)

Bookmark   May 8, 2012 at 7:04AM
bellarosa(z5/IL)

Karl,

This is a rose I purchased around 2 or 3 years ago from Pickering Nurseries. It is a grafted rose - I think that's all they sell at Pickering. Not sure why it's not blooming. The leaves look very healthy, although some of them are puckering a little. I'll have to post a pic.

Bookmark   May 8, 2012 at 12:23PM
karl_bapst_rosenut(5a, NW Indiana)

If from Pickering, it's grafted on Multiflora. They use multiflora for the majority of their grafted roses. Multiflora can sucker also and the suckers will be as vigorous as Dr. Huey. Multiflora is also a once yearly bloomer which only blooms on 2nd year wood. It has clusters of small white single flowers.

Bookmark   May 8, 2012 at 1:14PM
More Discussions
I just gotta have it!
I don't know why I used to be satisfied with just a...
sara_ann-z6bok
Do you ever rearrange the rest of your life around roses?
Hi folks I obviously love growing and talking about...
nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
I love my Belinda's Dream Roses!
Belinda's Dream is proving to be such a good rose for...
sara_ann-z6bok
pernnial blue and purple skyliner
OK, since you all were so helpful with your comments...
bart_2010
Anyone grow Delbard roses (like Dames de Chenonceau)?
I've been told that the Delbards are a lot like Austins....
gardenerzone4
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™