2 yrs. old ws Calliandra 1st Bloom

penny1947(z6 WNY)April 18, 2007

This plant was wintersown in 2005. It sprouted in late June/early July of the same year. Since it isn't hardy in zone 6 it has spent the winters in my laundry room and it finally bloomed for the first time on Monday April 16th. 2007. The plant itself is only about 8 inches tall right now and the little powder puff is about the size of a nickle.

This first picture is a close-up of its first bloom

This is a full length view of the plant in its little pot so that you can see the flower in relation to the plant. It really reminds me of a little bonzai.

Penny

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vera_eastern_wa(5a-5b)

Oh how cute!!! I am adding this to my wish list.
I don't mind wintering things over. How cool does your laundry room get and is it well lit or not lit at all?

Thanks for sharing :D

Vera

Bookmark   April 18, 2007 at 10:56AM
penny1947(z6 WNY)

Vera during the day the laundry room is pretty bright until about 2 or 3 in the afternnon as it is on the east side of the house so it gets the first light of day. The temp in there stays about 70 and occasionally a little warmer if I am doing lots of laundry but probably no warmer than 75 degrees. This is actually a slow growing shrub. Growing in a container it will stay smaller (2-3 ft. tall and about 2ft. wide) than if grown in ground (4-6ft tall and probably 3 ft. wide). It is very easy to grow from seed and can be pruned to grow more as a small tree or trained as a bonsai.

Penny

Bookmark   April 18, 2007 at 11:03AM
vera_eastern_wa(5a-5b)

Thanks for the info!
I figured it was a shrub...a very pretty one too! So they don't need a dormancy period? If not then one could bring it out into more common areas of the house to winter. I like that even better LOL

Vera

Bookmark   April 18, 2007 at 8:58PM
penny1947(z6 WNY)

Hey Vera,
They will actually bloom year round especially in bright natural light. So if mine continues to bloom during the winter months it will definitely be gracing the living room instead of being relegated to the laundry room. They are only hardy to about 40-45 degrees. Below is a link to a page on the care of calliandras.

Penny

Here is a link that might be useful: Calliandra plant care

Bookmark   April 18, 2007 at 9:28PM
msmisk(NTX8)

It's almost like having a child, isn't it ? You sound like a very proud mama, showing baby pictures. Very cool plant.

Carol

Bookmark   April 18, 2007 at 11:28PM
penny1947(z6 WNY)

Carol that is exactly what it is like LOL! I used to be thrilled to show pictures of my annuals when I started wintersowing now I have to push the envelop and see how many Not in My Zonw plants I can really grow and bring into bloom. Growing up down south I miss all the things that grow in the south and southwest that I can't even find up here so what better way to have them than to grow them from seed myself.

Penny

Bookmark   April 19, 2007 at 3:29AM
More Discussions
has anyone ws aubrieta?
Is it too late to ws aubrieta. I am in zone 5- Iowa....
maryjozone5
Extreme cold predicted and my seeds have sprouted
I have WS cabbage sprouting here in Zone 7, but Sunday...
coffeehaus
Official Winter Sowing Count Zone Wars 2014-2015 #2:
Game of Zone 2014-2015 Link:This is the continuation...
ladyrose65
OK, Now that I have sprouts what do I do next
Should I water the little baby sprouts? When do I...
smokey28777
winter sowing a raised bed?
I am considering ws a raised bed in my backyard and...
maryjozone5
Sponsored Products
Seedling by thomaspaul Hedge Arc Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
Home Decorators Runner Rug: Springtime Terra 2' 9" x 14'
Home Depot
Nourison Hand-tufted Julian Floral Purple Rug (3'6 x 5'6)
Overstock.com
Bloom Rug
Home Decorators Collection
Phalaenopsis Pink In Ceramic Pot
$499.00 | FRONTGATE
Palermo Indoor Area Rug
Grandin Road
Lilac Purple Sutter Sham - Standard
Crane and Canopy
Sunshine Bud Vase
$29.99 | Dot & Bo
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™