Should I keep my one-branch rose?

organic_sumacMay 7, 2012

My first rose-growing spring!

Last year I mail-ordered a Westerland rose, along with another type that's doing well. I treated them both as directed, but of the three short branches that were protruding from the Westerland's original root, only one had any growth last year or this year.

This year the single branch is producing one cane with several offshoots (I'm not sure if these are the right terms!) but the other two branches are clearly dead. The plant is only a foot tall overall.

Will it still grow to a full size? Or does it not have an adequate base to start from?

Thanks!

Sarah

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karl_bapst_rosenut(5a, NW Indiana)

I had a one cane Westerland two years ago. I dug out from under it and buried the lower portion of the one cane. Evidently it went own root, because several new canes grew from below the surface. I now have a bush with several canes.

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 11:39PM
zack_lau

Westerland is a vigorous rose. I'd keep it. Instead of replanting it, you can also add more soil to bury the bud union. This is actually preferred if you have drainage issues like we do.

Bookmark   May 8, 2012 at 5:57AM
jacqueline9CA

Cut off the dead canes flush with the bud union - the lumpy part from which the canes are growing at the base - don't leave any "stumps". Make sure that there are no weeds or other plants growing within 18 inches of the base of the rose. Then, I would get some rose food at the nursery, and just follow the directions to feed it (make sure it is just fertilizer - no poisons for bugs). Assuming it is growing in the sun, it should start making more growth, and eventually it will produce more canes from the base. You will have to be patient and wait, but it will.

Jackie

Bookmark   May 8, 2012 at 10:09AM
seil zone 6b MI

And be patient. Climbers take 3 or more years to mature and climb. This being only a second year plant may not do a lot this season but should do much better next year.

Bookmark   May 8, 2012 at 10:16AM
kstrong(10 So Cal)

Sometimes I have been known to cut off all BUT one branch of a climber like that, and made it into a rose tree. You do that by staking or tipping the whole plant so your one branch goes where you want it to go, and then removing all thorns and growth shoots below where you want the crown of the tree to form.

It does work, but takes 3-4 years of doing that to get a "tree" looking plant. I've only tried it with climbers.

Bookmark   May 8, 2012 at 10:19AM
organic_sumac

Thanks very much for all the advice! I've reburied, fed, and mulched it today, and will be patient...

Bookmark   May 12, 2012 at 8:32PM
More Discussions
Think I might have done a bad thing to my rose....
Hi All, I have a rose bush that was given to me, I...
rhoder551
Crazy about Rose Buds!
There are times during this new season of roses that...
sara_ann-z6bok
Hybrid tea White Magic
I was wondering if anyone has grown the Hybrid tea...
gibsongirl74_gw
What Should I Plant?
I need help deciding on a climber or rambler rose to...
hello459
First Vase of the spring
Small vase to start, but just starting to get the first...
kingcobbtx9b
Sponsored Products
Tressle Arm Chair in White
$199.99 | Dot & Bo
Stem Chrome One-Light Bath Fixture
$86.00 | Bellacor
Linwood Brass Double Hook with Porcelain Knobs
Signature Hardware
David Bromstad "Flowers in a Jar" Artwork II
Grandin Road
Zatara 4 3/4" High Chrome Wall Sconce
Euro Style Lighting