John Deere 210 Coil keeps getting hot.

seazningJuly 23, 2010

I have a John Deere 210. I've replaced the starter, coil twice, fuel pump,condenser, and a new battery. Got $700 in it and it still wont run right. It will start and run if you idle it up it will chug and stop. The coil gets hot. It has a kohler engine 14 hp. We had a well known mechanic look at it and he cant figure it out either. Need more options. Its a oldie in good condition. If anyone has any help in this matter please let me know. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rcbe(6)

have you had the engine shroud sheet metal off to clean the fins well ?

Bookmark   July 23, 2010 at 7:41PM
kompressor

Maybe....... it's your choice of coil. If you are running an automotive coil instead of an actual Kohler OEM coil, then there's your problem. Kohler coils have an internal resistor that allows them to take the full 12 volts from your electrical system. Automobile coils are actually 8 volt coils that rely on an EXTERNAL resistor to take up the other 4 volts of power.

On autos that are expected to crank over in sub-zero weather, there is a mechanism in the electrical system that sends a full 12 volts to the coil only while the starter motor is spinning. When the engine starts up and the starter is disengaged, the electrical system provides power once more through the external ballast resistor and the coil only sees 8 volts from that point on.

If you are running an 8 volt coil on the full 12 volts, then you've increased the supply voltage by a full 50 percent and that's what's causing the coil to overheat and fail. Go to your local NAPA dealer. You have 3 choices of coils from him. They sell all kinds of Kohler parts including the coil. They also have Bosch coils. Bosch makes two models. The black coil is part number 00015 and is a 12 kv coil. The more expensive Bosch Blue coil is part number 00012 is the 18 kv coil that is commonly used by people who build Kohlers for competition purposes such as "pulling".

Does this help? If so, then please report back here so others may learn from this while searching the archives.

Bookmark   July 24, 2010 at 7:24AM
deeredoctor(z8TX)

All you have to do is ask for an internal resistor type coil at the local parts store. Most aftermarket coils have internal or external resistor stamped on the outside of the coil. The OEM Kohler coils seem to always not have the marking on them.

Bookmark   August 2, 2010 at 8:57PM
More Discussions
Craftsman rider safety switches
I have a Craftsman mid-engine riding mower with a briggs...
LRM2
Briggs and Stratton 25hp els OHV help!!!!
I got a this motor attached to a mover off a craigslist...
H&M Contractors
Time for a new tractor
According to the shop my JD L110's transaxle is on...
Key Design
Hydrostatic Drive Problems??
Craftsman 20.5 HP Kohler Command V twin Under the seat...
jthievin
Craftsman 917.289244 - Starter will not turn the flywheel
I am working on a Craftsman 917.289244 with starting...
cjlawson9
Sponsored Products
Standard Lanai Pique Sham - WHITE/ LINEN
$120.00 | Horchow
Brown Starfish Canvas Wall Art by John Golden - ART037HN
$67.99 | Hayneedle
John William Waterhouse 'Gathering Summer Flowers in a Devonshire Garden' Hand-p
Overstock.com
John Black 'Fire Breather: Japanese Tree' Gallery-Wrapped Canvas
Overstock.com
John Boos Hard Rock Maple Reversible Cutting Board with Handles - MPL-OV2418225
$149.95 | Hayneedle
Large Aged-Copper Sculpture
$345.00 | Horchow
Stockhart Coffee Table - CREAM/BRASS
$1,099.00 | Horchow
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Artistic Weavers Rugs Artes Beige 4 ft. x
Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™