My new improved WS set-up

msmisk(NTX8)April 29, 2007

This was the original set-up. Lots of individual jugs with individual tops & baggies, that had to be opened and closed inividually every time the weather fluctuated between 20 degrees and 70 degrees, which was almost daily around here. Lots of work !!

The new improved set-up. I took all the tops off, and put just the bottoms (milk jugs, etc) in plastic storage containers that had holes drilled in the bottoms & tops.

As sprouts emerged, the jugs were moved to a storage container with no top. I put a piece of lattice over the top to keep the birds out and protect them a bit from too much sun or wind.

Overflow seedlings went into this garden cart covered with lattice, but I watched from my kitchen with the binoculars as sparrows jumped down through the lattice to disturb my jugs, and hop back out. Bad birds !!

Thanks for looking !

Carol

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PVick

That is a neat setup, Carol! Really like the sterlite container idea.

I use plastic hardware cloth and bird netting on everything to keep the birds out until the seedlings (and emerging established plants) are big enough to fend for themselves - or until nesting season is over; up here, I get starlings that just peck at everything. Maybe you could stretch some bird netting across your lattice to keep the sparrows out?

PV

Bookmark   April 30, 2007 at 8:42AM
msmisk(NTX8)

Great idea, PV. I'm going to pick some up when I go to town this afternoon. That should solve my problem. Poor seedlings don't stand a chance around these crazy birds !

Carol

Bookmark   April 30, 2007 at 1:40PM
shasta_2008(5 NE Ohio)

msmisk you can also buy the netting in the material dept at your craft store (the netting they use for wrapping wedding favors), my mind is blank and I can't remember what it's called. I used it on my small blueberry bushes when the berries were ripening and it worked and is inexpensive.

Bookmark   April 1, 2008 at 6:59PM
kqcrna(z6 SW Oh)

Nylon net?

Karen

Bookmark   April 1, 2008 at 9:49PM
playintheyard(zn6 MA)

I believe it's called tulle

annette

Bookmark   April 26, 2008 at 7:54PM
ondrea_carina_leaf(7)

I notice your in North Texas? Right? I have a question what do you do about the freeze snaps we get every once in a while? Do you cover or not?
thanks

Bookmark   October 14, 2008 at 1:28PM
More Discussions
Can I winter sow Salvia 'Clary Mix'? Or do I need a greenhouse?
Does anyone have any experience wintersowing this species?...
ladyrose65
Question about cold treatment?
It's late to put some seed out that needs a longer...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
seeds already started?
I've started several seeds in paper cups and put in...
sorie6
Newbie question. Would this work?
I have a really large clear plastic bag that I could...
christacharlene
Brrrrr! Pretty cold out there, too cold?
I just started winter sowing and have my first containers...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™