Seedling protectors

msmisk(NTX8)April 29, 2007

I've posted here before about all the trouble I've had with birds, rabbits and dogs bothering my seedlings after being planted out in the garden. Here is a milkjug that has three openings cut in the side and is held down with garden staples. It's placed over a showy butterfly weed seedling, allowing light and air and water in, and keeping critters out. It also gives protection from all the wind we get here.

It's working - I removed several dozen covers and the seedlings (hollyhocks, scabiosa, valerian, chickory, tansy, feverfew, four o'clocks, salvia, zinnias, cosmos, cleome, african daisies, wallflowers, sunflowers, bishops flower, baby's breath,) are doing great. Nice and big and healthy. We'll see how long it takes the rabbits to find them !

Carol

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bonnys

Hi Carol, I planted out new Veronica that I purchased just last night and knew it was going to be very cold (32F) so I made a couple of these. They worked great. Thanks for sharing and the pictures....
Bonny

Bookmark   May 22, 2007 at 7:33AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
msmisk(NTX8)

I'm glad it worked for you, Bonny. It sure has helped my seedlings get a start. I've been able to remove the covers from the first ones I planted out, and now I'm using them again on some of the latest additions to the garden. Can't wait to see some blooms on some of these !

Carol

Bookmark   May 23, 2007 at 11:11PM
More Discussions
Winter Sown Peppers (Tomatos)
I tried winter sowing last year for the first time...
midmented
Newbie question. Would this work?
I have a really large clear plastic bag that I could...
christacharlene
Has Anyone Wintersowed Burnet?
Love the tall, wispy flowers like Tall Verbena and...
lizbest1
Can you re-use the potting soil from last year?
I have some milk jugs left from last year. Can I use...
jd101
Official Winter Sowing Count Zone Wars 2014-2015 #2:
Game of Zone 2014-2015 Link:This is the continuation...
ladyrose65
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™