Rudbeckia Reseeding

dianasan(z5a Mtl)July 5, 2010

I have the following Rudbeckias planted next to each other in a bed: Indian Summer, Maya, Goldilocks and Double Daisy. These are perennials in my zone.

Do Rudbeckias reseed by themselves or should I save seeds and sow them myself?

Also, will they crosspollinate? If so, then what will next year's plants look like?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
terrene(5b MA)

If you don't deadhead, then they do reseed a lot. Sometimes too much. You can also save seeds and sow them yourself if you want them to sprout in a particular area. They do cross-pollinate if you have several cultivars growing together. This will result in a mish-mash of blooms the following year, some of which could be quite pretty. Perhaps if you have only 1 cultivar growing in your garden, it will seed true?

Rudbeckia hirta is not perennial in our zone. In my experience, some plants will be annual, others live 2 years, occasionally a plant will come back for a 3rd year, but I've never had one live longer than that.

Bookmark   July 5, 2010 at 7:18AM
diggerdee zone 6 CT

Ditto to what terrene said - they will reseed, which I think is great (so far, lol) and they are not reliably perennial even in my zone 6, although I have had several plants come back here and there.

However, I do have several cultivars growing together, and reseeding, and so far I don't think I've noticed cross-pollination. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I'm just saying that I have not been attentive enough to notice!

If you really don't want to risk cross-pollination, you should probably collect seed and sow it. If you don't mind the possibility, just leave a few seed heads up.

I absolutely love my r. hirtas and would not be without them. Enjoy!

:)
Dee

Bookmark   July 5, 2010 at 9:00AM
dianasan(z5a Mtl)

Thank you both for your advice. I love all 4 varieties that I'm growing so I hope that some will reseed true, however, I agree that cross pollination might produce some interesting blooms.

Thank you.

Bookmark   July 5, 2010 at 4:20PM
pippi21(Z7 Silver Spring, Md.)

Do you have any photos of your garden that you can post here for all to see?

Bookmark   July 7, 2010 at 7:05AM
dianasan(z5a Mtl)

Haven't taken any photos yet this year. But will post some after I figure out how.

Bookmark   July 7, 2010 at 10:57PM
More Discussions
Will the Epimediums make it?
The epimediums ( I have about 20 different varieties)...
laceyvail
When is the best time to divide Siberian iris?
I live in SW PA, and last year I noticed that my SIberian...
vlk20
...at last! Snowdrops!
I was just looking out the living room window, wondering...
woodyoak zone 5 Canada
campanula confusion!
I have a question, everyone! I've always eyed campanulas...
diggerdee zone 6 CT
Troubles with new Campanula Carpatica (Blue Clips)
I will start by saying that I am a pretty new gardener....
lovelyother1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™