Dwarf Conifers in Full Shade

johnstaci(Z5/6 NW MO)May 6, 2010

Any suggestions for dwarf conifers in full shade? Looking for something around 2-3 ft tall by 3-4 ft wide.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
esh_ga

There are some dwarf Canadian hemlocks - not sure if they are suitable for Missouri though.

- Tsuga canadensis 'Beehive' - a dwarf shrub to 3' tall and 5' wide, with the general shape of a spreading beehive
- Tsuga canadensis 'Bennett' - another dwarf shrub to 3' tall and 5' wide, with ascending then arching upper branchlets, preferring partial shade
- Tsuga canadensis 'Cole's Prostrate' - a groundcover form and bonsai alternative in partial shade to the prostrate Junipers, slowly to 1' tall by 4' in diameter, with the central stems becoming exposed over time
- Tsuga canadensis 'Gentsch White' - a dwarf shrub form (to 4' tall by 4' wide if never pruned, but half that size when sheared), with Spring tip growth that becomes intensely creamy-white in Autumn and Winter against the dark green background of the older foliage; must be placed in partial shade to avoid sunscorch; feather shearing is recommended to promote compactness and encourage more tip growth
- Tsuga canadensis 'Jeddeloh' - a dwarf shrub form to 3' tall by 5' wide, with a subtle depression in the center, and an alternative to Bird's Nest Spruce (Picea abies 'Nidiformis')

Here is a link that might be useful: source

Bookmark   May 6, 2010 at 8:19AM
dan_staley(5b/SS 2b AHS 6-7)

I'm not aware of any. You might want to think about a broadleaf evergreen.

Dan

Bookmark   May 6, 2010 at 9:40AM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Yew.

Bookmark   May 6, 2010 at 11:28AM
salicaceae(z8b FL)

Cephalotaxus species and cultivars. Some might not be hardy for you, but C. harringtoniana does well in zone 6 I have heard. Also, I have seen dwarf Cryptomeria cultivars doing fairly well in shade.

Bookmark   May 6, 2010 at 11:35AM
dan_staley(5b/SS 2b AHS 6-7)

Ah, yes, I forgot about the Cephalotaxus. There you go Salix.

Dwarf Taxus is relative, and if not chopped then will grow past OP's specs eventually. Cryptomeria needs sun unless there is a new cultivar that is shade-tolerant.

Dan

Bookmark   May 6, 2010 at 1:00PM
gardengal48

Full shade is difficult :-) With the exception of yews (Taxus sp.), few needled evergreens will be happy or thrive in full shade. Partial shade is quite different and a good many, Cryptomerias and Tsugas included, will do very well under these conditions.

And while any dwarf conifer will continue to grow, often exceeding "typical" mature size guidelines eventually, yews are some of the most amenable of any conifers to pruning and can be easily shaped and scaled to a desired size without issues.

Bookmark   May 6, 2010 at 1:31PM
More Discussions
Number 4 thread of Most successful try @ LIve oak in Pa
Okay, this is the newest thread about the Live Oak...
poaky1
Pruning yaupon holly as tree
The builder put in 15 gal (I think) yaupon holly shrubs...
Meghan Mccarthy
Indoor Dogwood Tree
Hi, I'm looking to grow a dogwood tree indoors in our...
timandpao
Recent visit to Hirosaki Castle - Maples and Ginkgo
Video link: http://youtu.be/paMIiTiS2OU Japanese Maples...
jujujojo_gw
Destructive trimming of trees. HELP!!!!
Our neighborhood association board has been going crazy...
beachem
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™