Italian Cypress Turning Yellow/Brown

dwrecktorMay 25, 2010

My Italian Cypresses have been turning yellow/brown since winter. We had an unusually long winter here in Dallas w/ several late snow storms. Could that have caused some disease or root kill? What do you think?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dricha

Other Cypress trees like Arizona and Leyland... get some interior leaf loss this time of year. I would not worry about it. If the browning moves to the outer foliage you might have some other problems. Remove the turf around the base of the tree for better growth.

Bookmark   May 25, 2010 at 7:34PM
scotjute

These trees like well-drained soil. The extra rainfall so far this year could be affecting them, particularly if not in a well-drained area. Removing the grass as mentioned above out to a couple of feet from the trunk and replacing with mulch would be a good move.
Is the tree in full sun and is it in a well-drained location?

Bookmark   May 26, 2010 at 10:28AM
dwrecktor

Thanks for the responses. Yeah I plan on mulching around the tree w/ river rocks, but there's actually 13 of them in a row, so I'm designing & budgeting how to make that happen.

"Is the tree in full sun and is it in a well-drained location?"

Yes it's in full sun. I didn't mention this in the 1st post, but the tree is along the fence line and my neighbor has 3 medium to large weeping willow along his side of the fence. I know those trees are water hogs, so would that make the soil where my cypress is well drained?

Bookmark   May 26, 2010 at 3:59PM
More Discussions
How do I kill a very large tree discreetly?
I have a very large tree in my yard that just has to...
hpb1963
American elms seeds wanted
When we were discussing pruning the damaged elm, I...
jocelynpei
Fast growing trees in zone 8 or 9 Houston tx
We want to add trees in with our very old live oaks...
johnfam
Maple woes
I had a Trident maple planted (poorly) in my yard at...
cajunladyintx
Please help me identify this tree???
I have searched everywhere and can NOT find the name...
Terry Whitehead
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™