Squash Blossoms

msmisk(NTX8)June 30, 2007

Pink banana squash. The blooms are so pretty, I'd grow them even if the fruit wasn't so delicious !

Four O'Clocks & Zinnias - I've never actually seen an open 4:00 bloom. They always just look like buds to me.

Bishop's Weed, I mean, Flower

a href="http://photobucket.com"; target="_blank">

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
northerner_on(Z5A ONCanada)

I've been told that in some cultures squash blossoms are a delicacy - I don't know how they are prepared, but yours are lovely. Glad to see what my 4 o'clocks will look like. I got them in a trade, WS'd them for the first time this winter. Is Bishop's Weed the white flower? Is it the same as Queen Anne's Lace?
Northerner.

Bookmark   June 30, 2007 at 4:33AM
msmisk(NTX8)

Northerner, I've heard of squash blossoms used on a salad, like a nasturtium, and I remember a friend of mine years ago who deepfried daylily blossoms, so I would think that would work with squash blossoms too. But I've never tried one. I'm just happy to have them pollinate and turn into squashes !

I'm a little disappointed in my 4:00's. I never see the blooms open, even though I check them right up till dark.
They always just look like a bunch of buds.

Yes, the Bishop's Weed is the white flower. The flower looks very much like Queen Anne's Lace, but the plant does not, and I hear it's not as invasive as Queen Anne's Lace. It's not very sturdy and upright, though. All the rain has caused it to flop over.

Carol

Bookmark   June 30, 2007 at 11:00PM
lindakimy

Northerner, squash blossoms were one of my favorite dishes when I lived in Italy. They dip them in batter (while they are sort of closed) and deep fry them - OH YUM!!

I agree that many veggie flowers are pretty enough for the front border. One of my favs is okra! That'll dress up your garden!

Bookmark   July 2, 2007 at 8:20AM
karyn1(7a)

I always use the male blossoms in the kitchen. I stuff them with a rice and meat mixture and cook them like stuffed peppers or dip them in a tempura batter and fry them. They are delicious and the male blooms don't produce fruit so you aren't reducing the harvest.
Karyn

Bookmark   July 16, 2007 at 4:46PM
lblack61(z5 NY)

I love the blooms for squash too...they are gorgeous. So are the ones for eggplant. The eggplant blossoms are a deep lavendar, veined with dark purple.
Nice pictures :-)

Linda

Bookmark   July 16, 2007 at 8:03PM
More Discussions
Winter Sowing Dahlia Seeds?
Does anyone WS Dahlia seeds? How do they work out for...
Matthew Condon - Indiana.Matt - IN, Zone 5/6
Official Winter Sowing Count Zone Wars 2014-2015 #1:
This is the first thread in the official Winter Sowing...
ladyrose65
Milk Cartons (not plastic jugs)
Can I use milk cartons for winter sowing or is the...
luigiwu
Brrrrr! Pretty cold out there, too cold?
I just started winter sowing and have my first containers...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Annuals
Can you wintersow, Tithonia and Salvia now? I have...
bellarosa
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™