June 26th

PVick(6b NYC)June 26, 2007

The aerie today:

PV

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pitimpinai(z6 Chicago)

Woohoo. How tall is that beaut? I love the color and the leaves. How far from the ground are you? How much sun do you get?

Bookmark   June 27, 2007 at 7:01PM
PVick(6b NYC)

LOL! The malva is almost 2 ft. tall - I expect it'll get between 3-4 ft. I'm hoping this one will come back next year and be as flowerful as my 'merlin' was last year (in it's second year). Are malva short-lived perennials? Both the 'zebrina' and the 'merlin' only lasted two years for me.

I'm on the 11th floor, so I figure that's about 90 ft. up, give or take a few feet. I've got a SE exposure, so in the summer, I get good morning sun on the eastern end of the terrace; from about 11ish till 3ish, the only sun is right up against the railing - everything else is shade. In the winter, the whole darn terrace is flooded with sun. Too bad it's too cold then to grow stuff.

Funny thing is, almost everything I really like and want to grow needs full sun. So I shove everything up close to the railing and do the best I can with what sun I get.

This year has been disappointing for me, gardenwise, but there are a few bright stars - even if they're few and far between.

PV

Bookmark   June 27, 2007 at 9:06PM
lindakimy

Beautiful as always! You put those of us with large spaces (and pitiful plants) to shame!

Bookmark   June 29, 2007 at 11:05AM
pitimpinai(z6 Chicago)

Your garden is really awe inspiring, PV.

Bookmark   June 29, 2007 at 8:30PM
More Discussions
Milk Cartons (not plastic jugs)
Can I use milk cartons for winter sowing or is the...
luigiwu
perennial WS
What is your favorite perennial to sow? I'm in zone...
sorie6
Winter Sown Peppers (Tomatos)
I tried winter sowing last year for the first time...
midmented
Wintersowing ONLY for Container Gardening?
Hi guys, I live in the city so I mostly container garden....
luigiwu
Official Winter Sowing Count Zone Wars 2014-2015 #2:
Game of Zone 2014-2015 Link:This is the continuation...
ladyrose65
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™