A few WS babies, all grown up

lindakimyJuly 23, 2007

I really enjoyed my garden this weekend - beautiful weather and lots of plants blooming. Heavenly!

Wintersown zinnias in front of the porch

This was labeled "Lavender Hyssop" - it's a very well-behaved plant.

Burgundy celosia - you wouldn't believe how tiny these were when I put them in the ground!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PVick(6b NYC)

Wow - so pretty! Garden envy - big time!

Bookmark   July 24, 2007 at 12:40AM
bonnys

Wow the zinnias are lovely. I have a few thumbelinas that are blooming but were not wsn...they are pretty cute. I hope my lavender hyssop looks like yours when it blooms...very nice.
Bonny

Bookmark   July 24, 2007 at 7:43AM
lindakimy

Awww...thanks, y'all - that makes my day!

I found this picture of the baby celosias. I honestly wondered if they were EVER going to grow up. When I planted them out they were about 3/4 inch tall. Like this:

Wintersowed babies are TOUGH!

Bookmark   July 24, 2007 at 8:10AM
lindakimy

Here are a few more photos. We are still having VERY hot, dry weather. Some plants are beginning to look exhausted - black eyed susies for one, which surprises me! But here are some wintersowed celosia that are still going strong. These are some of the same red ones shown above, plus some pink ones that have really gotten tall - over 5 feet.

Here are some wintersowed zinnias that have also gotten very tall. These are almost 6 feet tall and would be closer to 10 if they had not been blown down by a wind storm earlier and they have stalks that run along the ground that have rooted. Looks like snakes among my plants!

The butterflies just LOVE the zinnias!

Bookmark   September 10, 2007 at 8:24AM
bulbs(z6 PA)

Linda, those zinnia are beautiful. And butterflies aren't the only thing that goes for zinnia - I've seen goldfinch birds occasionally on mine, but esp. on the anise hyssop (agastache). Mine is also a lavender color - hoping to try other colors this winter.

Winter sowing sure is great! Probably would never have tried anise hyssop at plant prices, and had trouble with zinnias purchased many years. Keeping 1 out of 4 was good - 'til I tried w/s seeds! Now have a dozen or more zinnia plants blooming.

Bookmark   September 12, 2007 at 1:52PM
carrie630(z7bNC)

linda - your flowers look great - just saw these pictures today - you did a great job wintersowing!

Carrie

Bookmark   September 14, 2007 at 7:54PM
PVick(6b NYC)

OOOOOOO, I'm glad I revisited this post! Those pink celosia are very unusual - love their look!

PV

Bookmark   September 14, 2007 at 8:45PM
lindakimy

Pvick, I gotta laugh...that is one of those photographs with a "chosen" angle. This is the view I have most often (from the front porch). It IS unique, no?

Add to that that it's well over 5 feet tall and you have another garden surprise!

Bookmark   September 16, 2007 at 12:23AM
vera_eastern_wa(5a-5b)

Oh I'm so glad I revisited this thread too! I love your Burgundy Celosia...WOW!! I had no idea the foliage was that lovely shade also. Now I'm even more excited about the ones I received in trade. Those tall pink Zinnia are ta die for...good golly almighty :D
Hope my Agastache looks half a lush as your next year. They were nice and bloomed well but I don't think I gave enough room to expand...too closely planted among older mature plants and fast growing annuals.

Vera

Vera

Bookmark   November 14, 2007 at 12:00PM
lindakimy

I am really hoping that the burgundy celosia reseeded. I didn't find ANY seeds on it!! I thought it was supposed to be so generous? And after last summer's show....I gotta have this in my garden. Thank goodness there are still a few seeds in the trade packet I got last year!

Vera, the zinnias DO look pink in these pix. I didn't realize that till now. They are actually lavender. Does it matter? Hope not...you are getting seeds (if I figured out how to harvest them. BLUSH!!)

The agastache was so well behaved....unlike most of my ws plants. I had a couple of patches of it and it stood up to wind and rain and all the rest. Not the most amazing of plants...a tiny bit boring, actually. But I'm delighted with anything that blooms and doesn't succumb to insects or disease!

Bookmark   November 14, 2007 at 7:55PM
paulan70(5)

Lindakimy

What is that plant behind the celosia. Thanks

Paula

Bookmark   April 25, 2008 at 9:20PM
lindakimy

Paula, sorry I didn't notice your post for so long. The plant behind is also celosia. The seeds I was sent in a trade were marked "Pink Flamingo". I was not expecting them to grow anywhere near that tall! Those things were huge! They did make a great conversation piece, though.

Bookmark   May 5, 2008 at 4:45PM
More Discussions
Extreme cold predicted and my seeds have sprouted
I have WS cabbage sprouting here in Zone 7, but Sunday...
coffeehaus
Is it too late?
Is it too late to do any WS? I figured I'd use moist...
ms_minnamouse
The thrill of the sprout
Just checked my containers and have two types of lettuce...
caryltoo Z7/SE PA
has anyone ws aubrieta?
Is it too late to ws aubrieta. I am in zone 5- Iowa....
maryjozone5
Unknown seedling in with foxgloves
I planted foxgloves (digitalis), which are the small...
sandyslopes z5 n. UT
Sponsored Products
Henna All-Weather Urbana Sofa
$1,299.99 | zulily
AHB Empire Extra Tall Bar Stool - 134845SR-L11
$239.95 | Hayneedle
Freedom Bed
| Italy Design
Roman Leopard Rug 4' x 6' - BROWN
$399.00 | Horchow
Kraus Sonus Three-hole Bas-inch Faucet/ Pop Up Drain with Overflow Chrome
Overstock.com