Help! Craftsman Lawn Tractor Stalls

gtr19July 22, 2010

I just found out my father is having problems with his Craftsman riding mower. It starts fine, but will only run for approximately 20 minutes. Then it starts to run rough and eventually stalls. He can not get it to restart until he lets it cool down. Then it will restart, but the scenario starts over again. The tractor is about five years old and has not had any problems until now. Not sure about specifics such as model and engine yet, but I thought I'd start picking everyones brains.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
milacqua(z7 TX)

That is the same thing that happened to me today with a Sears riding mower, not a tractor. It is about 10 years old and has worked well but today it started to sputter and back fire and then died. It would start, go a little and die again. I hope you get an answer from someone who knows what they are doing because it will probably solve my problem as well

Bookmark   July 22, 2010 at 6:06PM
rcbe(6)

1) chk/clean gas cap vent with a small stiff wire.
2) pull engine shroud sheet metal - clean fins well.
3) if engine still shuts down, immediately chk for good spark at plug. Coil may be going bad when hot.
4) if no help, post back with latest details.

Bookmark   July 22, 2010 at 7:34PM
milacqua(z7 TX)

That's it - spark plug, at least in my case, and it may be all that is wrong with the original poster's machine. I cleaned the gas cap vent but it keep shutting down. I took out the plug and it was fouled. Replaced it and all is well. We by-pass the simple things and always think it is more complicated than it really is. Thanks rcbe for the tips.

Bookmark   July 23, 2010 at 3:13PM
More Discussions
Tecumseh throttle governor help?
Ssnow blower, not tractor question, but I'm hoping...
mbsl98
Does anyone else have this problem?
I have a Craftsman riding mower that the manual clutch...
cowgirlrose55
New Briggs & Stratton lawn mower engine never needs an oil change
Wonder what Taryl at the Grass Roots Garage would have...
txtom50
old mtd lawnflite chain drive?
Hey I just bought and old riding mower and lo and bohold...
mtdlawnflite
Everybody getting enough seat time with the snow?
I know I am, way too much and compared to New England,...
exmar
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™