small tiller recomendation

exmarJuly 13, 2010

Hi Folks,

New here, so apologize if I'm in the wrong section.

My situation is that my small tiller, 2HP, 2cycle craftsman died (broken gears in the tranny) after 12 very dependable years. Due to it's age, and the fact that it was manufactured by AMF, no parts are available, EXCEPT for the entire tranny from Sears for $149 plus S&H.

My application is primarily tilling between rows in the veggie garden and occasionally spot tilling in the wife's flower beds. I have a large rear tine beast for the "heavy hauling."

I'm thinking of a 2 cycle mantis due to warranty and "everyone" loves them. Anything else out there of interest? Honda was into small tillers but they seem to have disappeared lately?

Thanks for your time,

Ev

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rcbe(6)

sears has a small 2 cycle unit for around $220 .... Ain't pushing that particular brand - and you might find something better suited to you with just a google search for "tiller"

Here is a link that might be useful: sears tiller

Bookmark   July 13, 2010 at 7:11PM
larso1(So. CO Zone 5)

Also look at the Stihl Yard Boss mini-tiller "system" (2-stroke) for approx. $320 that takes other heads like brooms, aerator, dethatcher, edger, etc. and the Mantis of course. Check out link below. Also check out this '05/'06 thread on the different mini-tillers here:

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tools/msg0622120812337.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Stihl Yard Boss Video

Bookmark   July 13, 2010 at 7:59PM
javert

Is Honda gone? I've had a Honda FG100 (4-cycle engine) for several years, well pleased with it. Friend has had a 2-cycle Mantis same amount of time; he's happy with that. We both agree that we prefer the 4-cycle; other than that, the machines are about equal. I think Mantis now offers a 4-cycle, so you might consider that.

Bookmark   July 13, 2010 at 10:47PM
exmar

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the responses. I'm not sure about the small Hondas, I don't see them around here (SE Ohio) anymore and Googling Honda FG tiller doesn't get any sales hits. Personal opinion/quirk, I like "purpose built" machines, and the Stihl with all it's options goes contrary to my thinking somehow.

Ev

Bookmark   July 15, 2010 at 2:27PM
More Discussions
Craftsman FS 5500 clutch issue.
With the engine running, when attempting to drive forward...
mrgizmos
JD 30inch mechanical tiller VS. 42 inch hydraulic tiller ??
I have read and posted different threads on these two...
cjsm5nys
what yall think about this for a deal a Kubota on CL
here is the link.... what yall think http://louisville.craigslist.org/grd/4760971779.html thanks...
jeanwedding
Can you identify this Muffler?
I obtained this muffler a while ago, but have no idea...
rodco
Tecumseh throttle governor help?
Ssnow blower, not tractor question, but I'm hoping...
mbsl98
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™