When to divide shasta daisy?

gardenfanatic(MO zone5b)July 7, 2007

I have a shasta daisy I want to divide, and I'm wondering if it would respond better if I divide it in the fall (I won't do it now because of the heat), or in the spring? Do they divide well? It seems like they're kind of temperamental.

Deanna

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donn_(7b-8a)

I divide mine in Spring and Summer. I have done it in the fall, with mixed success. They seem to take quite a while to re-establish themselves, and half the divisions made in fall didn't survive winter. You're in zone 5, and they aren't reliably hardy in your zone, so I'd do it early enough they have plenty of time to settle in before winter.

Bookmark   July 7, 2007 at 7:26AM
flowerluvr(Z5 IN)

I've had the best luck dividing mine in the spring. I do most of my moving and dividing in the fall, but as with donn, I've had mixed results with shastas in the fall. I've got 'Becky' which is very hardy for me.
Brenda

Bookmark   July 7, 2007 at 8:25AM
gardenfanatic(MO zone5b)

Thank you - I will hold off until next spring to divide.

Deanna

Bookmark   July 7, 2007 at 2:15PM
jackied164(z6 MA)

I divide mine early and often.....

To be honest I have no experience other than doing it in the spring but I have never had a problem with this. I have a very vigorous culivar that needs it every year. I just gouge out the sides. Soon I will probably have just a shasta daisy gaden with all my splits.

Bookmark   July 7, 2007 at 10:53PM
anitamo(5)

The above poster mentioned dividing by "just gouging out the sides." I was just wondering about this...does it work well on the Shasta "Becky?" Or do I have to dig the entire plant out of the ground then divide?

Bookmark   April 22, 2008 at 3:41PM
prairiemoon2 z6 MA

D'Sabato's book The Well Maintained Perennial Garden warns not to divide them in the fall. Suggest not to even plant them in the fall. Surprised to see she reports they are not reliably hardy in zone 5. Division every 2-3yrs.

Bookmark   April 22, 2008 at 3:53PM
primgal36

I divided mine in September, and gave several to my neighbor. They're getting new growth right now, hers are too. I planted them three years ago, and they needed to be split up, didn't seem to affect them at all.
I dug mine up and split them with a big bread knife.Planted some in the same area and moved others to other areas.

Bookmark   April 22, 2008 at 11:46PM
More Discussions
Mason Bees)
Does anyone here encourage Mason Bees to stick around...
mikerno_1micha
Achillea sun requirements
I planted a couple of these last year and they were...
DandyLioness (CA 9, SZ 14)
How to ask Houzz a question?
When the switch over first happened I could easily...
Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
Im looking for rare edible perennials for zone 5
I want things that require vary little work and do...
grannypeck
true pink or purple oriental poppies
Hi, I've tried to grow pink and purple oriental poppies...
mary_rockland
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™