Never seen this before

laceyvail(6A, WV)May 3, 2012

The crazy weather has really been hard on trees. The magnolias, which were late April bloomers, kept trying to bloom in early April and were completely frozen out. The sweetbay magnolia (M. virginiana) normally a June into July bloomer, is trying to bloom now. But the really whacked out tree is our native dogwood (Cornus florida) which has bloomed throughout southern/central WV with its leaves. It normally blooms several weeks before it leafs out. Apparently, the blooms are on schedule, but with the heat, the leaves are afraid they've missed the boat.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
whaas_5a(5A SE WI)

Mine is just the opposite (well its a hybird). The leaves are on time, just leaving out now but the flowers haven't opened up.

Bookmark   May 3, 2012 at 10:10AM
cearbhaill

The C. floridas around here did it correctly, before the leaves. They did it about three weeks early but they did it.

Bookmark   May 4, 2012 at 9:24AM
calliope(6)

We had the intense, too early heat and the C. florida started blooming prematurely, then the heat left and was replaced with several weeks of slightly cooler than normal temps. Mine have put on a floral show I've never seen before, stuck open in full bloom for an astoundingly long time like in suspended animation and absolutely breathtaking. The leaves were pretty much on schedule, so I got to see the flowers nestled in amoungst them. It just shows to go you that heat is not the only trigger point for the plant world, and that's why I don't keep a garden calendar. The unfolding of the spring show is a little different each year and I love it that way.

Bookmark   May 4, 2012 at 11:11AM
whaas_5a(5A SE WI)

Calliope, I hope you got a pic!

Last year mine flowered for about a month before the leaves came in. It was a long, cool, wet spring last year.

Same as this year except we got early June like whether in March and then March weather in April.

Bookmark   May 5, 2012 at 9:20AM
calliope(6)

Nope and it's really dangerous to ask me for tree pictures, bird pictures or quilt pictures. I make eyes glaze over.

Bookmark   May 5, 2012 at 9:34PM
j0nd03

I doubt that calliope!

Pics NAO!

John

Bookmark   May 5, 2012 at 9:42PM
More Discussions
Japanese snowbell - anyone with experience growing in zone 5?
I'm looking for a tree for our front yard. Japanese...
mattow42
Alder tree has bark curling, cracking, and falling off
One of the Alder trees on our property in northern...
rocko_54
Lemon tree problem
My lemon tree is having all sorts of problems, the...
shlshl
Help my dying tree it's leaves are drying
I found a dying tree and brought it home just to have...
sashaprokaski
What's the prognosis for this poor magnolia and apple tree?
I've lived in this house for a year. The previous owners...
nonconformist_nymphette
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™