Deer/rabbit/squirrel repellent

rredbbeard(SE CT USA/zone 6)July 24, 2014

The most effective repellent I've found turns out to be the simplest. Take a raw scrambled egg, and mix it in to a 1 gallon container about 2/3 full of water. Place a cap on the bottle, and shake it up daily. Surprisingly, this mixture doesn't make gas, so it's not necessary to vent it.

After a week, this mixture can be sprinkled around areas that you want to protect, or thin strips of paper towel can be dipped in it and hung on the branches of bushes or trees. This needs to be repeated every 2-3 days, or after it rains, of course! The scent is tolerable, but for wildlife, it's overwhelming. No more nuts in my planters courtesy of FTR's (F'ng tree rats). A friend of mine is finally getting to enjoy his raspberries using this, placing it in small dishes (or old jar lids) every few feet around the beds. A little dab'll do ya! It works. Let me know how this works for you!
Good luck,

Rick in CT

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shadeyplace(7)

I will TRY this, but I have tried almost everything and nothing helps continuously. Seems they get used to the smell after a few weeks.

Bookmark   July 24, 2014 at 10:45AM
mxk3(Zone 6 SE MI)

Thanks for the tip!

Bookmark   July 24, 2014 at 11:48AM
rredbbeard(SE CT USA/zone 6)

Dunno....I use it all summer with no problem. They all move along to my neighbors' gardens. (j/k)

I have heard but never tested these ideas:

1. string a single clear monofilament --fishing line-- about 3 feet off the ground, around the garden. Deer are apparently freaked out by this 'invisible wall', and won't cross it.
    2) surround the garden with a 3 foot wide ring of plain plastic trellis, laid flat on the ground. Deer at least won't cross it, not wanting to chance tangling their hooves in this hazard.

Keep us posted if you try these!

--Rr

Bookmark   July 24, 2014 at 11:06PM
coxy(6)

Liquid Fence-the ONLY thing (and I've tried them all) that works

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 12:34PM
More Discussions
Sun Lovers in Shade---Shade lovers in Sun?
Have you placed plants in a location contrary to what...
WendyJoZ8
Would you be willing to share your favorite plant markers?
I've been eyeing the copper and zinc ones but just...
oldbat2be
Suggestions To Make This Forum Better
A Private Message feature would be great! Add yours!...
WendyJoZ8
liatris bulbs
I just bought bulbs. Can I start them in a pot now...
sorie6
Are you missing past content?
I went searching for my old comments on GW and according...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™