River birch branch dieback

venturMay 26, 2014

I have 3 river birch in my backyard for privacy and dappled shade. I planted them 4 years ago. They have nearly double in size and the one on the right (looking at the photo) became very bushy. Finally they leafed out after a very hard winter, but after inspecting them I noticed that the branches on the middle tree were dead and snapped off. So I decided to prune back the trees to remove the dead branches and also to give the middle tree some access to light. (It was a heavy handed pruning.) The problem may be that the trees were planted to close to each other. Also, while I watered them well during the summer, perhaps not enough during the autumn and ahead of our "vortex" winter. Here is my question- will the middle tree re-grow any branches? As you can see, the trunk is extremely bare. Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

go for a walk ... and look up.. into any mature tree ... they do not have leaves in there ...

to block the view.. you want the canopy to thicken ... and it will.. if you quit cutting it.. to get light inside.. where leaves dont grow ...

its awful early in the season... to be thinking.. the canopy was weak .. heck.. my trees in MI only leafed out.. in the last week.. they are not even close to branch growth ..

please .. next time ask... BEFORE you do the job ... and now that you found GW... you know where to ask ...

and no.. fert wont help ... they will get all the fert they need.. from your lush lawn ...

ken

Bookmark   May 26, 2014 at 8:21AM
More Discussions
American elms seeds wanted
When we were discussing pruning the damaged elm, I...
jocelynpei
Something ate terminal bud off oak seedling
My Quercus michauxii seedling is missing its terminal...
hairmetal4ever
Graft incompatibility sugar maple
Recently had a commemoration sugar maple installed...
othertime
Advice on Royal Empress Tree
Hello, I came across the Royal Empress Tree which I...
rmslayer
Landscaping pine forest back yard
Hi, We have a house and the backyard is entire pine...
soc_jones
Sponsored Products
Hampton Bay Cushions Fall River Cashew Patio Chaise Lounge Slipcover
$63.00 | Home Depot
Gardenfall Glass and Copper 48" High Indoor/Outdoor Fountain
Lamps Plus
River Blue Circle Rings Ovo Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
River Crest Two-Light Wall Sconce
$304.00 | Bellacor
Algreen Illuminated Relaxation Outdoor Fountain with Authentic Basalt Rock Pilla
$119.99 | Hayneedle
Quartz Painted Chalet with Dancers Cuckoo Clock
$160.30 | Bellacor
River Rock Wedge Green Tech Pendant for Lightolier Track Systems
Euro Style Lighting
Adagio CSS1004 Cascade Springs - Rajah Natural Slate Wall Fountain
SerenityHealth
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™