squirrels with no pity

motria(z6 Chicago)August 7, 2006

The nasty vermin in my neighborhood are compelled to dig up every square inch of soil. They especially go for the areas where some foolish human has been digging, watering, or otherwise tending to a little seedling! The attached photo is a collage of my anti-squirrel fortresses for various seedlings - penstemon and dahlia on top.. the last pic is "the one that got away", i.e. a cardinal flower that got torn up despite the milk jug shelter. The worst is now over, but you can imagine what a frustrating time I had back in May and June!

Image link:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vjhale

Yes, the worst is in the spring when the young squirrels tear up countless plants - and I lost a bunch. Some of which I had been growing in pots for over a year :(

They're still eating the pods off my peony bush, I'm not sure if I'm going to have any seeds this year. They're also chewing the buds off the white swan coneflower. But the hardest battle is to come - the tomato games have just started: Home team 3, backyard plunderers 8. And that doesn't count the ones that just have teeth marks. We are working on a chicken wire fence around our garden before they eat or ruin the rest of them, but it's just a deterrent.

Squirrels do not share.

Bookmark   August 9, 2006 at 8:14AM
motria(z6 Chicago)

I'm glad to know that someone else feels my pain! Good luck with the tomatoes. I always grow a couple of cherry tomato plants because they are not as appealing to the squirrels as the luscious beefsteaks.

Bookmark   August 11, 2006 at 9:02AM
mrsgalihad(5 CO)

The wretches dug up my three baby Witch Hazel. Nothing else in the entire bed was disturbed even though it was all planted at the same time. They of course have to pick the one plant that I am most excited about and most upset to lose.

And they did the same thing last year.

Bookmark   August 11, 2006 at 3:01PM
vjhale

I saw a squirrel running up the tree by my deck the other morning (their favorite time to plunder my garden), I went out and turned on the hose and blasted him as he scurried up the tree - and he dropped a TOMATO!! But he doesn't feel unwelcomed yet, found 4 more half eaten tomatoes the next day. Fence isn't working.

Bookmark   August 16, 2006 at 8:33AM
motria(z6 Chicago)

Darn them!

Actually, I'm still in the lull between seedling destruction and tomato pillaging. The brandywines are big, but still fully green. Will have to attempt pantyhose-over-the-fruit or some other protective technique.

DH tells me that we should hope the bird flu quickly evolves into a squirrel flu.. heh heh heh. Better them than us, right?

Bookmark   August 17, 2006 at 2:29PM
More Discussions
has anyone ws aubrieta?
Is it too late to ws aubrieta. I am in zone 5- Iowa....
maryjozone5
OK, Now that I have sprouts what do I do next
Should I water the little baby sprouts? When do I...
smokey28777
how long for annuals to sprout?
I moved and cannot find my records from last year....
ellenr22 - NJ - Zone 6b/7a
Anyone has started winter sowing in Toronto?
This is my second year doing winter sowing. I started...
chipeony
Sponsored Products
Carpet Samples: Martha Stewart Living Flooring Delamere I - Color Gray Squirrel
$4.85 | Home Depot
Carpet Samples: Martha Stewart Living Flooring Burghley Gray Squirrel - 6 in. x
$4.85 | Home Depot
Evergreen Enterprises Squirrel Portly Garden Statue - EG84889
$23.41 | Hayneedle
Martha Stewart Autumn Woods Grey Squirrel Wool/ Viscose Rug (8' x 10')
Overstock.com
Squirrel Charm Tea Infuser
$6.99 | zulily
Splish-Splash Squirrel Bird Feeder
$24.99 | zulily
Campania International Standing Squirrel Cast Stone Garden Statue - A-098--AL
$39.99 | Hayneedle
Kichler Beckett Everly 8.75" Wide Glass Pendant
Lamps Plus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™