I was gifted with this....please help ID!

vera_eastern_wa(5a-5b)August 25, 2006

My husband came home tonight with a plant he was given to give to me from a gal who camped on our lot during the bike rally. I told her about the area I was going to fill with shade to part-shade plants. This is not a Hosta or is it? The leaves are thick and waxy and requires shade, but I don't know what it is. The pics are bad because I took them at dusk. Need be I'll re-take them in the morning. Any idea?

This looks to be a runner from a mother plant...it runs sideways from the crown:

Thanks,

Vera

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vjhale

Hi Vera
Just a guess, but it kinda looks like a ornamental kale that was growing sideways. They will grow in part shade and sometimes lay down and grow along the soil, but like I said just a guess.

Bookmark   August 26, 2006 at 9:19AM
vera_eastern_wa(5a-5b)

thanks for the help, but I'd have to say no to Kale. This plant has a rhizome that is very thick. Kale as I know it grows a tap root but does not spread via rhizome being a biennial :D

Vera

Bookmark   August 26, 2006 at 10:09AM
vera_eastern_wa(5a-5b)

I got an ID reply on the Name That Plant forum a few minutes ago. This plant is Bergenia cordifolia!! I knew it was going to be something I should have known; this was one the plants I had to learn in spring Plant ID! Shoot that was 2 years ago LOL!! I better get out there and plant it.

Vera

Bookmark   August 26, 2006 at 3:57PM
More Discussions
Trying again after 10 years..
Hollyhocks, hibiscus, yarrow, delphinium, lychinis,...
CEFreeman_GW
Official Winter Sowing Count Zone Wars 2014-2015 #2:
Game of Zone 2014-2015 Link:This is the continuation...
ladyrose65
Winter Sown Peppers (Tomatos)
I tried winter sowing last year for the first time...
midmented
Where did everyone go?
I know lots of folks are on the FB WS group but where...
indianaplantlover
promix ultimate potting mix for winter sowing?
Is this kind suitable for winter sowing, since it contains...
pink_petals
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™