My All Time Favorite Viola

littleonefbSeptember 27, 2006

Hands down this is my all time favorite viola, wintersown this past winter.

Called viola sorbet yesterday, today and tomorrow. Got the seeds from valueseeds.com and thompson and morgan hass them as well.

Has been blooming since mid June growing in full sun, full shade and part shade. Only about 6 inchs tall but has been non stop blooms since it started. Expected the flowers to be shades of blue, but alas, they are shades of lavender and white.

The flowers start out pure white with a tiny yellow eye and some very dark puple streaks coming from the yellow eye. As the flower ages only in the number of days it is blooming, not as it starts to go by, the flowers start to take on a lavender hue. They continue to do this till the entire flower is all lavender. You end up with a plant full of all kinds of colors ranging from pure white, tinges of lavender till the entire flower is pure lavender. It produces lots of seeds too. Plants are still in full bloom and it does perfectly in blazing heat and humidity in New England too.

Can't get anything more perfect than this one. It is labeled "hardy annual"

Fran

center>

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
not_a_contessa(z5b S Central PA mtns.)

That's really a sweet little plant, I thought about getting seeds for it but I still have too many viola and pansy seeds that didn't get sown this year. Shame on me.

Enjoy, Mary

Bookmark   October 3, 2006 at 10:06PM
putzer(z4 WI)

Beautiful-I will have to put this one on my list!

Bookmark   October 5, 2006 at 12:45AM
littleonefb

putzer, she is a beauty. Just yesterday I was collecting more seeds and counted 15 variations on different flowers. Still amazes me at how the one plant looks like it is so many different ones all in one pot. Been down in the 30's a few nights and still blooming away, forming pods and collecting more seeds. Not bad for 4 months of blooming from one plant.

Fran

Bookmark   October 5, 2006 at 2:59PM
dirtysc8

What a sweetie!

Bookmark   October 6, 2006 at 4:18PM
lynnencfan(7b/8aNC)

I agree 100% that is it a beauty. Here is mine from last winter - made me smile everytime I looked at it.....

Lynne

Bookmark   October 8, 2006 at 2:38PM
moonphase(z7 Ga)

Those are beauties.I have not sowed any but I do like them.I went to Cherokee,NC this past week-end to gamble but when I saw pot after pot of yellow pansies and johnny jump ups,I spent about an hr. collecting seeds..lol.Now I am going to ws them.
moonphase

Bookmark   January 17, 2007 at 9:44PM
shirley1md(7)

Those blooms are charming! Everyone needs some for their gardens!! :~)

Bookmark   January 21, 2007 at 8:48PM
More Discussions
Newbie question. Would this work?
I have a really large clear plastic bag that I could...
christacharlene
Containers for winter sowing.
I have some clear plastic shoe boxes but they have...
hibiscusfan zone5-Northwest Ohio
to late
Is it to late in zone 6 to winter sow?? I went crazy...
sorie6
Extreme cold predicted and my seeds have sprouted
I have WS cabbage sprouting here in Zone 7, but Sunday...
coffeehaus
Stopping by to say Hello
Hello to all the Winter Sowers I just dropped by to...
richdelmo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™