Exposed Tree Roots

dorisl(5)May 22, 2008

Many of trees have exposed tree roots that are pretty beat up by the lawnmower. Ive read that this means the soil is too shallow and also read that you cant put soil (or mulch) on top of them, because the roots will suffocate and the tree will die. This seems like an extreme opinion, because tree roots go deep. So the exposed tree roots arent their only means of getting nutrition.

What comments to you guys have?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
spruceman

Putting soil over the roots of established trees is a risk. Yes, tree roots also go deep, but believe it or not, if enough soil is put over tree roots, it will smother the tree.

But does that mean you can't put any soil over the roots of established trees--no. If you put a little over a part of the area it can be OK, and you need to use a light textured soi that is sandy and has a lot of organic matter in it--and one without much clay in it.

If you can describe your problem more fully, and include pictures, maybe we can give you some more specific advice.

--Spruce

Bookmark   May 22, 2008 at 9:40AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

All of the non-woody, fibrous roots of tree species are very shallow. It is this part of the root system that absorbs water and dissolved minerals. SOME species have deep anchor roots that are purely structural, but most do not and rely on this shallow mat of a root system for support as well. That's why we need to be so careful about protecting the first 12 inches of soil from compaction, filling, etc.

Too, some tree species develop large woody surface roots in any kind of soil. It's just what they do. Do you know what kind of tree you have?

As an aside...when I lived in coastal SC, I did lots of work with old live oaks. Even growing in the predominately sandy soils in that area, I rarely saw roots develop any deeper than 6 inches. It was so interesting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's some good information for you

Bookmark   May 22, 2008 at 11:44AM
More Discussions
Who has snow?
Post your snowy garden pics. (Locally, almost none...
subtropix
Tree Removal Plan
Hi, I have a 100ft Silver Maple in my front lawn. It...
ACharles
Dombeya blooming!
A tropical hibiscus + hydrangea like flowering tree. Notice...
jujujojo_gw
need help pruning trees
I have a Kentucky Coffee Tree (gymnocladus dioicus)...
Dave Varel
Grafting trees - shower tree + mango + avocado
Hi, The house Im about to buy has a shower tree right...
Daniela Andrade
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™