yardman upgrade trouble HELP!!!

hobbyfarmergrowerJuly 22, 2010

ive recentely got a job and earned myself some spending money, i originally thought that i could get 2 rear tires for my yardman and drill holes in the rims on both, and bold them together, would a 1992 12 hp yardman rear end handle that type of traction?? also i found a muffler for a farmall cub same size inlet but im wondering if it would cause too much back pressure on the engine?? if so is that bad???

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rustyj14(W/PA)

If your tractor has the regular type of transmission, not a "hydro-static", yes, it probably will, if used carefully. If you intend to try breaking of hard ground, or plowing dirt, your Yardman isn't exactly suited for that work. Although, you can try it, but do not be surprised if it suddenly decides to fail, even with the geared transmission.
As for the muffler, i'd say buy the type for the engine!
That way you won't have to worry about back pressure, etc. Mufflers are not expensive, and are designed for correct back pressure, and exhausting of engine combustion (exhaust) pressures.

Bookmark   July 23, 2010 at 9:44AM
hobbyfarmergrower

yeahy shes just a regular foreward neutral reverse transaxle, if she does fail can i just get another one (same fitting same pulley and type but stronger and more well suited?

Bookmark   July 23, 2010 at 10:42AM
ggoyeneche

If you need to go to duals to get enough bite, you're going to tear out the rear axle. Yardman tractors like your are made by MTD and have Transmatic belt type CVT transmissions and use a Peerless 910 differental/rear axle. The Peerless is probably the weakest link in the whole drive train. The Transmatic with its belts will slip before it breaks. Replacement new is about $300+ and there is no "heavier duty" version available.

Yours is a lawn tractor and is specifically NOT recommended for ground engaging equipment. If you put duals on it, expect trouble.

Bookmark   July 23, 2010 at 11:54AM
More Discussions
New Briggs & Stratton lawn mower engine never needs an oil change
Wonder what Taryl at the Grass Roots Garage would have...
txtom50
Tractor starter-wrong rotation.
As I have been known locally as a lawn tractor fixer,...
rustyj14
Does anyone else have this problem?
I have a Craftsman riding mower that the manual clutch...
cowgirlrose55
Snapper Riding Lawn Mower Wiring Diagram
I'm trying to find a wiring diagram for a Snapper Rear...
byrondallas
which is better Simplicity Broadmore 44" or Husqvarna GT48xlsi
I am about ready to order a new mower for my yard....
lcb65
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™