Used Simplicity Express 15.5 Hydro - Good deal?

lundysJuly 12, 2014

I am thinking of picking up a used Simplicity riding mower and was wondering if someone could provide some guidance on what I should be paying.

Obviously I'll need to go try it out, but the description is pretty basic: "Express Simplicity, 15.5 hydro, Intek, 38" cut, works great."

They are asking $500. My understanding is that these mowers are from the year 2000 and sold for $1600-$2200 new at the time. What do you think? Is this overpriced? And more importantly, is this a good mower???

Thanks!
-Steve

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tomplum

They were a good quality entry level LT. Look at this like you would a used car. If it appears used up, has abnormal noises, deck rust, a not real positive feeling transmission then pass. If maintenance has recently been done IE oil, blades, belts filters etc look in great shape that is a plus. It can also be a good bargaining chip. The rider could be worth $500, but if it $200-300 in maintenance or repairs- not so much. It is real good idea to start it cold and warm it up good going through the paces so to speak. BTW the first 2 digits of the engine's code number will indicate the year of production. IE Code 95002341 would be a 1995.

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 4:10PM
More Discussions
Does anyone else have this problem?
I have a Craftsman riding mower that the manual clutch...
cowgirlrose55
Ford 1210 hydrostatic clattering when engaged
Is it possible someone is up on this subject here?...
jaceymae
Snapper Riding Lawn Mower Wiring Diagram
I'm trying to find a wiring diagram for a Snapper Rear...
byrondallas
Tuff Torq K46 Tranny
I've been reading many of the posts on this site and...
tuco
Thoughts on a good lawn tractor.
This appears to be a site of knowledgeable folks with...
VAlandlover
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™