Used Simplicity Express 15.5 Hydro - Good deal?

lundysJuly 12, 2014

I am thinking of picking up a used Simplicity riding mower and was wondering if someone could provide some guidance on what I should be paying.

Obviously I'll need to go try it out, but the description is pretty basic: "Express Simplicity, 15.5 hydro, Intek, 38" cut, works great."

They are asking $500. My understanding is that these mowers are from the year 2000 and sold for $1600-$2200 new at the time. What do you think? Is this overpriced? And more importantly, is this a good mower???

Thanks!
-Steve

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tomplum

They were a good quality entry level LT. Look at this like you would a used car. If it appears used up, has abnormal noises, deck rust, a not real positive feeling transmission then pass. If maintenance has recently been done IE oil, blades, belts filters etc look in great shape that is a plus. It can also be a good bargaining chip. The rider could be worth $500, but if it $200-300 in maintenance or repairs- not so much. It is real good idea to start it cold and warm it up good going through the paces so to speak. BTW the first 2 digits of the engine's code number will indicate the year of production. IE Code 95002341 would be a 1995.

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 4:10PM
More Discussions
Snapper Riding Lawn Mower Wiring Diagram
I'm trying to find a wiring diagram for a Snapper Rear...
byrondallas
Tractor starter-wrong rotation.
As I have been known locally as a lawn tractor fixer,...
rustyj14
JD 30inch mechanical tiller VS. 42 inch hydraulic tiller ??
I have read and posted different threads on these two...
cjsm5nys
Briggs & Stratton OHV Intek Hard Starting
I am another of the seemingly many people fighting...
dreamoftheflood
Do "Drift Cutters" work?
Chatting with a buddy in Connecticut, he had about...
exmar
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™