Craftsman PTO won't disengage

kkcvmtJuly 26, 2010

My riding mower has this problem: pushing in the PTO switch does not disengage the mower blades as it is supposed to...getting off the seat stops the mower, though. I tired replacing the PTO switch, and the problem persists. Please let me know if you have any ideas. Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bushleague(MA)

What are we working on, Craftsman? Could you please post the model #? TIA.

Bookmark   July 26, 2010 at 8:22PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mownie(7)

With the engine off, reach under the tractor and disconnect the wiring connector that serves the PTO clutch. Tie up the wire or move it away so it can't get snatched by the belt.
Now, keep your hands away from the belt and deck, have a helper crank the engine.
IF.......you see the deck belt begin to turn along with the PTO pulley...........replace the PTO assembly.
Either the free wheel bearing has seized (likely), or the friction disc has broken and wedged on top of itself (less likely).
Some of these PTO clutches have accessible bearings that could be replaced if one knows how, but the bearings can only be found at a well stocked bearing distributor. The presence of removable snap rings holding the bearings in place would be the key. If the bearings are held by a retainer ring they are replaceable. If the bearings are "staked" or swedged in place, non replaceable.

Bookmark   July 26, 2010 at 8:50PM
More Discussions
Thoughts on a good lawn tractor.
This appears to be a site of knowledgeable folks with...
VAlandlover
John Deere 445 EFI wet plugs
Tractor won't start until you remove both spark plugs and...
stone75
Ford 1210 hydrostatic clattering when engaged
Is it possible someone is up on this subject here?...
jaceymae
Request for advice/information on Simplicity Regent 4111
Hello all. I was doing an internet search and found...
mattyruch
Everybody getting enough seat time with the snow?
I know I am, way too much and compared to New England,...
exmar
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™