Yellow coneflower

neptune24July 26, 2012

I planted a yellow coneflower in 2009. It didn't bloom until last April, and had 5 flowers. This year, it bloomed a little later (May), and had only 3 flowers. Is that normal? We did have a crazy March as well as a very warm winter, so I don't know if that might have had anything to do with it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aachenelf z5 Mpls

Are you referring to Echinacea paradoxa or one of the named hybrids?

Kevin

Bookmark   July 26, 2012 at 9:54AM
miclino(5)

Is there a decent yellow cone flower? Trying Maui sunshine but it's taking forever to establish.

Bookmark   July 26, 2012 at 11:09AM
echinaceamaniac(7)

A good yellow is 'Sombrero Sandy Yellow.' I love that one.

Another option is to get Echinacea 'Cheyenne Spirit' seeds. The mix includes orange, yellow, red, and other colors. I have seen awesome plants come from those seeds. They are also more compact.

Bookmark   July 26, 2012 at 4:01PM
aachenelf z5 Mpls

If you are referring to Echinacea paradoxa which is usually called the yellow coneflower, this has always been a sparse bloomer for me. There was a thread concerning this species a long time ago and others reported much more success then I've had, but in my experience it just doesn't compare to the regular old coneflower for vigor or blooms.

Kevin

Bookmark   July 26, 2012 at 4:22PM
miclino(5)

Just saw Sombrero sandy yellow at the nursery. Is it one of those delicate hybrids that can't take actual full sun. Also, from what I saw, its not actually yellow, more cream color

Bookmark   July 26, 2012 at 11:29PM
echinaceamaniac(7)

I have it and it's a very good yellow color. Lowes had a new shipment. Most were the very good yellow color.

Bookmark   July 27, 2012 at 1:22AM
miclino(5)

Has it overwintered well for you or are you trying it out for the first time this year?

Bookmark   July 27, 2012 at 10:52AM
wieslaw59

The only yellow-orange that has overwintered for me without a significant shrinkage is Marmalade. The sad thing about this plant is that it only has one flower per stem(at least here).

Bookmark   July 27, 2012 at 4:40PM
neptune24

Kevin, yes, I'm referring to Echinacea paradoxa. And I agree with you that it's a bit of a disappointing plant. I don't regret getting it, but I probably wouldn't plant another one.

Bookmark   July 30, 2012 at 3:38AM
miclino(5)

Okay so what an alternative tall yellow flowering perennial that has a small echinacea type footprint? Atleast 3 ft tall that is.....

Bookmark   July 30, 2012 at 3:26PM
mistascott(7A VA)

Hmmm...Heliopsis helianthoides 'Balerina' 'Summer Sun' Loraine Sunshine,' Helenium 'Mardi Gras' 'September Gold.' Rudbeckia fulgida (also traditionally called yellow coneflower).

Bookmark   July 30, 2012 at 4:05PM
More Discussions
Need help with Chrysanthemum please?
Last fall I purchased a nice mum from my local nursery....
gardenbug
Troubles with new Campanula Carpatica (Blue Clips)
I will start by saying that I am a pretty new gardener....
lovelyother1
2015 Garden Resolutions
Each year for the past few I say that I am going to...
rouge21_gw
Bought Colocasia esculenta tubers... now what?
I bought today a pack of 4 Colocasia esculenta tubers. They...
green_go
Welcome spring...
I usually spend most of my time on the Roses Forum...
bethnorcal9
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™