briggs and stratton engine

biggeehunterJuly 10, 2011

My mtd model 13as699g788 engine briggs and stratton model 42a707 1838 a1 It all began with the engine loping up and then down up and then down up and then down. the only way that the engine would run right is to pull the choke out a little bit.

I was told it was a clogged carb jet it needed to be cleaned so I cleaned it. That did not work. So I was told to rebuid the carb so I did. that did not work. So I was told to buy a new carb that worked but now it races out of control. I did not touch any part of the governor what so ever. can some body tell me if maybe the loping was caused by the governor going out. the throttle control no longer changes the speed. if someone could email me how to find a answer to this question on this website.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bluemower

The idling up & down condition cleared up when you partially choked the engine. This indicates a lean fuel air mixture. If the original carburetor was equipped with an idle mixture adjustment, the most likely solution would have been to open the adjustment to allow more fuel flow.

After installing a new carburetor, things went downhill. i suspect you overlooked somthing or did not connect the throttle linkage correctly and did not adjust the governed idle. The idle set screw may need adjusting. I do not suspect an internal governor problem.

Bookmark   July 10, 2011 at 9:10PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
biggeehunter

My new carb is none adjustable. If I hold the govnernor arm with my finger clockwise, it runs great, a perfect idle. When I let go of it it races at max and the throttle does nothing to control it. I know that when the engine is off the throttle plate is held open then when the engine starts the plate closes on a correct running engine. I think when the engine starts the internal governor gear closes the plate when it starts but that is not happing on my engine.

Bookmark   July 11, 2011 at 12:39PM
More Discussions
Installing a fuel pump to a gravity fed 12 hp briggs...
I'm in the midst of an engine swap and I would love...
jd108eric
Briggs and Stratton 25hp els OHV help!!!!
I got a this motor attached to a mover off a craigslist...
H&M Contractors
tow-behind spreaders
Hi Everyone, I am looking to start using a tow-behind...
fcarp63
Plug vs. Spike aerators?
Plug vs. Spike aerators Why would someone use one over...
cjsm5nys
Assistance
I can handle the new format for Houzz, but what really...
krnuttle
Sponsored Products
Christopher Knight Home Briggs Recliner
Overstock.com
Unleashed Life Briggs Dog Dish - LGBRIGGS
$28.99 | Hayneedle
Eurofase Wall Mounted Lighting & Sconces Briggs Collection Flushmount 6-Light
Home Depot
Briggs Tufted Leather Chair - BROWN
$2,790.00 | Horchow
Furniture of America Briggs Contemporary Dark Walnut 48-inch Dining Table
Overstock.com