An established Aralia Sun King?

rouge21_gw(5)July 25, 2012

From the description it does seem like a very appealing shade plant. However I have seen very few posts on GW describing a 'real life' multi-year established "Sun King". Does anyone here have one? In any event I did pick one up yesterday. This specimen is very healthy and the foliage colour is striking:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

I grow Aralia with my Hydrangeas, not that particular cultivar, but find them easy and dependable in our climate. Al

Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 9:34AM
echinaceamaniac(7)

Mine is getting huge...much larger than claimed by Terra Nova. Love it though!

Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 2:40PM
rouge21_gw(5)

As I recall Terra Nova gives the size as....3 ft by 3 ft? So how old and how big is yours echinacemaniac? Any chance of posting a picture or two?

Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 4:23PM
a2zmom(6a - nj)

Rouge, Terra Nova does indeed state 3' by 3', Plant Delights however says the plant gets up to 6 feet high. A rather big difference imo.

Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 6:44PM
rouge21_gw(5)

I was hoping a regular reader of GW might have a very established 'Sun King' who could comment on its true size.

Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 7:01PM
echinaceamaniac(7)

It is awesome. I will post a photo tomorrow. It looks great with woodland phlox. The color contrast of the blooms of phlox and Sun King's foliage is awesome.

Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 9:59PM
rouge21_gw(5)

By coincidence I was in a nursery this morning and they had an outstanding group of potted "Sun Kings" for sale in gallon containers. I don't need another but I couldn't pass up such a specimen.

Bookmark   July 26, 2012 at 12:36PM
rouge21_gw(5)

a2zmom wrote: Plant Delights however says the plant gets up to 6 feet high.

I would imagine that the final size for this herbaceous shrub/plant is greatly dependent on the hardiness zone in which it is grown. For example echinaceamaniac's zone 7 allows for a (much) longer growing season than would be the case in my z5.

Bookmark   July 27, 2012 at 8:02PM
rouge21_gw(5)

UPDATE

I planted 3 of these ASK last season and all seemed to thrive. I am wondering/hoping if this plant is a late riser in the spring as I see no sign of it yet.

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 7:48AM
mrtulin

It probably is a late riser. I just bought three in pots from last season. they are alive, but just a half inch nub is barely visible on the soil surface.
idabean

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 10:12AM
Patty W. zone 5a Illinois

I just got back from Hornbaker Gardens and not all of theirs had come up yet. Those that had only had a tiny nub showing. Read an article from confessions of a plant geek where he speaks of Sun King. He was rather unsure if it would be hardy below zone 5.
Anyway picked one up. Hope it does well.

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 8:10PM
rouge21_gw(5)

Thanks 'patty' for the follow-up. Today I was impatient and I moved all the fall leaves and mulch away from one of my ASK and then I proceeded to gently scratch the dirt and lo and behold I did detect the most tiny of growth "nubs". So good to see and feel. And given that this past winter was quite severe...a good sign re its hardiness.

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 8:20PM
rouge21_gw(5)

UPDATE

I planted 3 A.S.K. last summer and all three have come back strong after that trying winter. The picture below is representative of all 3 at this point in the spring. I am interested to see how large this plant can get in a zone 5 climate.

Bookmark   May 5, 2013 at 6:08PM
Western_MD_Plant_Man

Can anyone provide info on propagating ASK, please? I'm interested in created more stock from my single and beloved 3-year old ASK specimen, either by division, cuttings or seed harvested from parent. Thanks!

Bookmark   June 3, 2014 at 2:01PM
mary4b(4b WI)

If the Aralia creates berries, it will probably seed all over. I have Aralia Racemosa and get babies in quite a few places. It's important to move the babies right away if they grow where you do not want them. With Aralia, make sure you put it where you want it. They have tap roots and I have yet been able to MOVE an aralia by shoveling it out...they always come back. Last year, someone accidentally "killed" my Aralia with Roundup. It looked dead by fall, but it is up and in full swing, very large again already. A gorgeous plant, just make sure you put it where you want it.

Bookmark   June 4, 2014 at 4:23PM
rouge21_gw(5)

I had corresponded with the American plant man who introduced it to NAmerica from Japan.

He stated that it does not spread by runners or rhizomes and he has never had any seedlings for this particular Aralia.

Bookmark   June 4, 2014 at 4:36PM
More Discussions
Bought Colocasia esculenta tubers... now what?
I bought today a pack of 4 Colocasia esculenta tubers. They...
green_go
Dieing Elephant Ear?
I bought a Black Magic elephant ear about 4 months...
addisonf
Persicarias
Are there any you like or don't like and why? As always,...
catkinZ8a
NEWBIES: stay out of your garden
ALL NEWBIES .... I KNOW YOU HAVE THE FEVER.... the...
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
spring things
replanted this as part of last years back garden renovation...
daves10z7annv
Sponsored Products
Abbyson Living Delano Dark Brown Bi-cast Leather King-size Bed
Overstock.com
Select Luxury Medium-firm Quilted Top 10-inch King-size Foam Mattress
Overstock.com
King Troyes Velvet Sham - TEAL (KING)
$425.00 | Horchow
Furniture of America Jensen 5 Piece Glass Top Dining Set - IDF-8320T-BK-4PK
$794.92 | Hayneedle
King Grand Bazaar Sham - BEIGE/RUST (KING)
$265.00 | Horchow
Armen Living Barrister Gray Velvet Loveseat - LC8442GRAY
Hayneedle
Premium Woven Olefin 9-foot Patio Umbrella with Stand
Overstock.com
Snowy Peaks Duvet Cover
$109.99 | Dot & Bo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™