20 HP Intek surging

mailboxJuly 4, 2010

Got a little problem. I picked up an MTD lawn tractor the other day. It has been setting up for a while. It has a 20 HP B&S Intek engine. I flushed out the gas tank and rebuilt the carb after vatting it in carb cleaner. I blew out all the jets and even ran a small wire down every hole I could. It surges from the minute I crank it. If I pull the choke out about half way it stops. As a matter of fact it even seems to have a little more power. I am at by wits end over this one. It did have a couple of "restrictor plate gaskets" with the kit but not on the engine. Any help or tips you can think of would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mownie(7)

Check the throttle shaft to make certain it is "floppy loose", no binding or drag at all. Check it with linkage disconnected from throttle shaft so you know all you are feeling is the throttle shaft in its bore.

Bookmark   July 4, 2010 at 9:41PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rcmoser

Does the carb. have idle adjustment screws on it? if so richen it up alittle by turning them counter clockwise, note where they were so if it don't help you can turn them back to their orginal postion.

Bookmark   July 5, 2010 at 3:54PM
More Discussions
What happened???
I logged in yesterday after a prolonged absence and...
romore_gw
Tractor starter-wrong rotation.
As I have been known locally as a lawn tractor fixer,...
rustyj14
Can you identify this Muffler?
I obtained this muffler a while ago, but have no idea...
rodco
Dead cylinder
So I have a Briggs & Stratton Engine model number:...
RebornGreen
Thoughts on a good lawn tractor.
This appears to be a site of knowledgeable folks with...
VAlandlover
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™