Reassembly of mower

popcornhillJuly 18, 2010

I took a Wheel Horse 211-4 and disassembled it to paint and clean it up. I took pictures and notes and have it pretty much back together now. I do not want to use it as a mower, only as a rider for Grand kids. My question is....do I have to put the PTO clutch back on the shaft or can I leave it off? With it off, I tried to screw the bolt back into the shaft and it does not screw all the way up to the shaft. So if I leave the pto cluch assembly off, do I also leave the bolt out?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mownie(7)

If you don't plan on using the PTO, leave it off.
As to the bolt, the only consideration is that the threads inside the crankshaft end will rust if the hole is not filled/sealed.
Why dont you just go to a hardware or auto parts store and buy a bolt about 3/4" to 1" long and coat it with grease or anti-sieze compound and run this bolt in tight?

This way, if you ever need to put the PTO back into service, at least you will still have a good hole to work with.
Take the OEM bolt with you so you can get a bolt thread that matches the hole in the crank.

Bookmark   July 18, 2010 at 10:46PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
popcornhill

Thank you mownie. That is what I will do. I thought the bolt was to hold the entire shaft on. But now I see that it was just to hold the PTO in place. I am learning a lot from this little project. Thank you again.
Dayton

Bookmark   July 19, 2010 at 8:58AM
More Discussions
PTO problem.
I have a John Deere 190C with 54 in. cut i am having...
jeeper55
Which lawn mower?
I posted this in the John Deere forum, but I'm wondering...
joe_ga
Tuff Torq K46 Tranny
I've been reading many of the posts on this site and...
tuco
Which model Deere for my yard?
My yard is one giant hill. 1.2 acres. I have about...
joe_ga
Craftsman rider safety switches
I have a Craftsman mid-engine riding mower with a briggs...
LRM2
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™